No announcement yet.

Need some power at the cabin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those big heavy banks of individual cells are no longer in my possession. I knew they would last for 100 years with little maintenance. Unfortunately the forklifts were hauled off and scrapped without my knowledge. So they really are gone....<Insert very sad emoji here>

Comment

Here's a company I've purchased from in the past. They basicly sell everything. I bought both my Schneider inverters from them.
      https://ressupply.com/
      Check out their Conext inverters. They make both 24 and 48V models. These are serious inverters designed to be hard-wired to a whole-house electric panel. I have a 4000W unit running my workshop. I also have a XM6848 inverter for the cabin. It has enough ummph to run my 240V well pump.

Comment

The Edison cells caught my attention. They sound fantastic. Unfortunately, to replace my 24volt 400a/h FLA bank, that cost a bit over $1000, would cost me $8000+.

Not terribly cost effective. If I win the lottery I will definitely be looking closer at the Edison cells.

Comment

Originally posted by PNW_Steve View Post
          The Edison cells caught my attention. They sound fantastic. Unfortunately, to replace my 24volt 400a/h FLA bank, that cost a bit over $1000, would cost me $8000+.
          Not terribly cost effective. If I win the lottery I will definitely be looking closer at the Edison cells.
          Edison cells have 2 drawbacks (just 2)
          1) low charge efficiency, only 70% compared to higher for any other battery.
          2) the electrolyte gets slowly poisoned by Co2 in the atmosphere, and has to be drained and replaced about every 10 years
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post

Edison cells have 2 drawbacks (just 2)
            1) low charge efficiency, only 70% compared to higher for any other battery.
            2) the electrolyte gets slowly poisoned by Co2 in the atmosphere, and has to be drained and replaced about every 10 years
            I can think of a couple more:
            They have a self discharge rate of 1% per day
            They produce a lot of hydrogen.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post

I can think of a couple more:
              They have a self discharge rate of 1% per day
              They produce a lot of hydrogen.
              The 1% self discharge is only meaningful for un-attended systems. If you are charging daily it's a non issue

Hydrogen production is not a bad thing, but it is a byproduct of the low recharge efficiency as water is electrolized into gas

The are Freeze Proof at any state of charge, except in ultra severe environments, where humans are not likely to live for very long
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by PNW_Steve View Post

I had considered them because they're ~indestructible.... but then I remembered the time-value of money. Instead of paying $15k for 20kWh of batteries that last forever I can buy 40kWh of premium PbSO4 batteries for $5k that will 'only' last 8 years only use ~50% and invest the $10k difference. In 8 years when the batteries die I'll have ~$20k and can spend another ~$5k on more batteries...

Comment

Working...
                X