Sunny Island Generator Input Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunny Island Generator Input Question

The installation of our two Sunny Islands is nearly complete.

I have question about the AC2 terminals and using a generator. Our two Sunny Islands (Master+Slave) are configured for 120/240v split-phase operation (2phase2) on the AC1 terminals. They are completely off-grid. In the event our solar system (Sunny Boy connected to AC1) cannot keep the batteries charged (dark days no sun), must we use a 120/240 volt split-phase generator on the AC2 terminals? Or can we use a (1-phase) 120 volt generator and parallel the AC2 terminals so the generator is feeding both AC2 terminals on the Master and Slave.

If not, is there a work around? Could a 1-phase 120 volt generator be hooked to just the Master alone?

Thanks!

Anyone? BUMP

Comment

I know nothing about Sunny Island but here is a link to a European manual. Perhaps you can find a USA manual with a similar search. At least it could verify the opinion you might get from an anonymous poster on a forum.
      https://www.sma-sunny.com/en/generat...-grid-systems/
      Last edited by Ampster; 11-02-2019, 02:14 PM.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Having been inside my inverter yesterday seeing your post is timely. Your manual did not show how to wire it? Typically today, a good inverter uses 220/240. Has customer support not been any help? I see your confusion since one side is wired on both 110/220. Years ago most inverters were wired for 110 and produced a powerful charged. I have been off the grid since 83. If I. were in a desperate need of charging, I guess I would try the 110 connection at 110V, it will either work or it will not if needs both legs.

Comment

Originally posted by TomP View Post
          Having been inside my inverter yesterday seeing your post is timely. Your manual did not show how to wire it? Typically today, a good inverter uses 220/240. Has customer support not been any help? I see your confusion since one side is wired on both 110/220. Years ago most inverters were wired for 110 and produced a powerful charged. I have been off the grid since 83. If I. were in a desperate need of charging, I guess I would try the 110 connection at 110V, it will either work or it will not if needs both legs.
          My application is not typical. SMA isn't very happy with me that I'm using a non-approved Lithium battery to begin with so the tech guy gets a bit of an attitude. Its like a "we're not going to talk about that" thing.

So anyhow, ya, the two SI6048's are hooked in a 2Phase2 configuration for US 240 volt operation but I'm looking for a way to hook up a 120 volt single phase generator if I needed. I can't figure out any reason why hooking it to the Master AC2 terminals would cause a problem. The manual says in several places that if a Slave fails, the Master will continue to work but if a Master fails, then the system goes down. The statements are not in the generator input section but they do sort of give some insight into how they work.

I have a 240volt generator, but I am looking for a backup plan if it fails and I need to use one of those little handbag sized units.

Comment

If the generator input (AC2) on Sunny Islands are just pass through then it may work to hook up a 120V generator to both Master and Slave. However, such setup would likely mean you end up with only 120V as both Master or Slave would be providing 120V of same phase. You probably need to hook up 120V generator through an autotransformer that gives you 240V split-phase for hook up to both Master and Slave.

Comment

Originally posted by solardreamer View Post
              If the generator input (AC2) on Sunny Islands are just pass through then it may work to hook up a 120V generator to both Master and Slave. However, such setup would likely mean you end up with only 120V as both Master or Slave would be providing 120V of same phase. You probably need to hook up 120V generator through an autotransformer that gives you 240V split-phase for hook up to both Master and Slave.
              I already know that you can't hook up the hot wire of a 120 volt generator to the AC2 terminals on both master and slave in a 2phase2 config. SMA was pretty clear about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Salts View Post

I already know that you can't hook up the hot wire of a 120 volt generator to the AC2 terminals on both master and slave in a 2phase2 config. SMA was pretty clear about that.
                That suggests AC2 terminal is not simple pass through. If your goal is connect 120V generator and have Master and Slave continue to generate 240V split-phase then autotransformer is probably the most practical solution that SMA would support.

Comment

Originally posted by solardreamer View Post

That suggests AC2 terminal is not simple pass through. If your goal is connect 120V generator and have Master and Slave continue to generate 240V split-phase then autotransformer is probably the most practical solution that SMA would support.
                  I guess if I was that desperate to charge the batteries, I could disconnect the slave and reconfigure the Master to single phase operation if I needed. It would be as simple as shutting off the DC breaker feeding the slave and running the quick setup configuration on the Master. Hmm. maybe that's what I'll have to do. I'd be limping along without 240, but the lights would still be on.

Comment

Guys, you best get a manual and understand what you are doing, BEFORE you try hooking up stuff thinking it might work. I don't use that brand and have no experience with it, but you are working with dangerous and lethal gear. Best case you only arc weld a screwdriver somehow. Worst case, you fry the inverter and you die from not having a clue as to what you are doing.
                    Stop it, and hire a professional that knows that gear.

danger do not touch hurt while you die.jpg

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                      Guys, you best get a manual and understand what you are doing, BEFORE you try hooking up stuff thinking it might work. I don't use that brand and have no experience with it, but you are working with dangerous and lethal gear. Best case you only arc weld a screwdriver somehow. Worst case, you fry the inverter and you die from not having a clue as to what you are doing.
                      Stop it, and hire a professional that knows that gear.

danger do not touch hurt while you die.jpg

I keep telling them the screwdriver isn't supposed to be glowing like that.. but they won't listen to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X