Need help wiring x12 300w panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help wiring x12 300w panels

This is probably a real dumb question to most of you, but I really need help. I have x12 300w Canadian Solar CS3K-300MS, and the outback 80vdc charge controller. I need to wire the panels so that the voltage is not higher than 80vdc to meet the charge controllers max input voltage. I know i need to use a mix of parallel and series connections, but have no clue how to do that. Please forgive my stupidity, i've searched the net for a diagram but have not found a picture or diagram that i understand. If anyone is willing to help me out I will send you a tip via bitcoin.

Thanks

PS- here is a link to the manufacturers specifications of the panels im using.....https://www.canadiansolar.com/upload...a3d74f0690.pdf

You can start with the knowledge that in parallel voltage stays the same and current adds, and in series voltage adds and current stays the same. Add panels in series until you are below that 80 volt number. Then make more groups like that and wire each group to the others in parallel. For me a drawing helps and it lets me figure out what wiring connectors I will need to buy.
    From the spec sheet what voltage would you get if you put two panels in series?
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Which Outback controller model are you using? Last I checked they all had at least a 150 Voc max input.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
        You can start with the knowledge that in parallel voltage stays the same and current adds, and in series voltage adds and current stays the same. Add panels in series until you are below that 80 volt number. Then make more groups like that and wire each group to the others in parallel. For me a drawing helps and it lets me figure out what wiring connectors I will need to buy.
        From the spec sheet what voltage would you get if you put two panels in series?
        Sorry, the max voltage is 150vdc and 80amps, not 80vdc like I said.

From the panel spec sheet, it has:
        Opt. Operating Voltage (Vmp)=32.5v
        Open Circuit Voltage (Voc)=39.3v

Opt. Operating Current (Imp)=9.24amp
        Short Circuit Current (Isc)=9.82amp

Which number do i base my calculations from? I have x6 currently connected in parallel, which should give 55.44amp at 32.5v depending on which number to use...if my outback is 80amps max, then obviously i need to connect the other x6 panels in series. I assume to do that i just connect the negatives to the positives, but I dont know how to connect the series panels to the parallel panels.

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
          Which Outback controller model are you using? Last I checked they all had at least a 150 Voc max input.
          Sorry, you are correct. Its 80amps max and 150vdc.

Comment

Originally posted by northern_sierras View Post

Sorry, you are correct. Its 80amps max and 150vdc.
            Then that changes part of my answer above. You may have to try several combinations to strike a balance between the max amps and the max voltage. There are probably several combinations of series and parallel that can get you there.
            Last edited by Ampster; 10-19-2019, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by northern_sierras View Post

Sorry, the max voltage is 150vdc and 80amps, not 80vdc like I said.

From the panel spec sheet, it has:
              Opt. Operating Voltage (Vmp)=32.5v
              Open Circuit Voltage (Voc)=39.3v

Opt. Operating Current (Imp)=9.24amp
              Short Circuit Current (Isc)=9.82amp

Which number do i base my calculations from?
              It would be safe to use the largest number for the purposes of illustration.
              I have x6 currently connected in parallel, which should give 55.44amp at 32.5v depending on which number to use...if my outback is 80amps max, then obviously i need to connect the other x6 panels in series. I assume to do that i just connect the negatives to the positives, but I dont know how to connect the series panels to the parallel panels.
              You can't connect the series panels to the parallel panels. You have to think of them as groups of series strings wired in parallel.

For example if you connected a string of 4 in series you would have how many volts? If that is less than your max then do two more strings of 4 in series and wire each string in parallel with the other strings and add the amperage to see if you are in the acceptable range. If that doesn't work try 3 in series which would give you 4 strings in parallel.

Comment

What is your battery voltage ? if it's not 48V, you really need to update your design to be a 48V system. 12 x 300w = 3600watts / 48v = 74A Just under the limit for the controller
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

That is a good suggestion which I totally ignored since I was focused on the string configuration and ignored the basic battery issues.
                  Last edited by Ampster; 10-23-2019, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X