two different banks into 1 inverter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two different banks into 1 inverter

Hello. I have a 6v bank wired to 12v and a bank of 12v batteries. I want to toggle from using 1 bank or the other. My switch is one of those three way. I was thinking of having positiveif bank 1 to it's own connect. bank two positive to the other connect. And negative of both batteries to the negative on the switch.

If it works, what would happen if I accidentally put switch to bank one positive and bank two positive simultaneously? The switch has that function, a 1+2 setting.

Tried to be clear. Let me know if you understand. Thanks.

The diagram is from manufacturer of pictured switch
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bradadad; 08-25-2019, 06:30 PM.

This switch ?
    https://www.tibs.com/MPZQP9970BUMA/c...vehicles-4055c

Your description has many mistakes and is difficult tp understand.

To answer you question ...

NO !
    You cannot have a 6 Volt Battery Bank #1 and a 12 Volt Battery Bank #2 connected in parallel using "1 + 2" feature of the switch.
    The voltage of the two banks must be the same to use the "1 + 2" paralleling feature of the switch.

Or are you asking ...
    If you have two x 6 volt batteries connected in SERIES to make a 12 volt bank #1 and a 12 volt battery as Bank #2 then is it OK to use the "1+2" position?
    Yes, that is OK.
    Last edited by NEOH; 08-25-2019, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Battery banks are not supposed to be switched in and out. The switch you show, is designed to switch from 1 battery to another battery, and it's contacts will likely burn, or weld themselves together with a large battery bank
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

It's a 6v bank made 12v by series connection and a 12v bank in parallel. I wanted to charge 1 while using the other. I decided it's above my head to combine if possible. I have an almost complete system anyway so I'll just separate the 2nd battery bank and give it it's own panels.

Comment

OK - It is a 12 Volt Bank, made from 6 volt batteries - which are connected in series.

Whats size, in "Amp-Hours' are each of your battery banks?
          Amp-Hours of Battery Bank #1 = ?
          Amp-Horus of Battery Bank #2 = ?

With a reasonable sized system, I do not think the contacts will "burn, fuse or weld together" when two 12 volt banks are used.

Starting in position "Bank #1 Only".
          Next move the switch to "Both Bank #1 & #2"
          Then move the switch to Bank #2 Only"
          You have successfully switched the inverter from Battery Bank #1 to Battery Bank #2.
          No big deal.

If you have any concerns, then shut the inverter OFF first, then switch from "Bank 1 Only" to "Bank #2 Only " and turn the inverter back ON.
          The switch is rated 200 amps continuous = 2,400 watts max,
          Watt size ( watts ) inverter are you switching?

How many amps is your PV Battery Charger?
          Are you switching the PV Battery Charger, too?
          Last edited by NEOH; 08-25-2019, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Wouldn't there be problems if the battery banks are either, 1. different capacities when going to #1 & #2? or 2. One bank is heavily discharged and the other if fully charged when going to1 & 2?
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Explain WHY you think it would be a problem ...

Comment

When both battery banks are connected there could be a large current surge from the larger or fully charged bank into the smaller or heavily discharged bank.
                2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by NEOH View Post
                  Explain WHY you think it would be a problem ...
                  Because if the banks are not at identical state of charge, and it's unknown if the switch is Break-Before-Make or Make-Before-Break. Marine switches are often made in both styles. And they are seldom rated for a battery BANK, just a solo battery on each. Most of the switches are only rated 200 - 300 amps.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                  X