What is an SC ?
Long cables from battery bank to inverter are generally bad, as the high resistance (even with 4/O cable, 30' / 60' round trip) will limit your inverter and trip it offline from low voltage.
I would not use a low end inverter in a marine environment like a boat, it's a poor place to not have a well made piece of gear.
Try our solar cost and savings calculator
Marine solar install
Collapse
X
-
Marine solar install
Hi All,
I have a large boat and have installed a 2kw array and a house bank of 8 x 6 volt Trojan T16 FLA in series for a 48 volt system. I have a xantrex SC and a cheap chinese 6000w inverter. The layout is the SC and inverter on a wall in the stern cabin all hooked to the inverter and then long heavy cables to the battery bank in the bilge about 30ft away. The question is I picked up a new SC as a backup and the instructions state the SC must be run directally to the batteries VS the inverter.
I can do this but my understanding was the SC can be any point on the 48 volt loop. Am I missing something. ?? Also I am thinking about a new inverter in the 4000 to 6000 w range as a back up to the existing Power Jack unit and I welcome recomindations.
Thanks Upston
Copyright © 2014 SolarReviews All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 6.1.3
Copyright © 2026 MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 2026 MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All rights reserved.
All times are GMT-5. This page was generated at 06:44 PM.
Leave a comment: