Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bozant
    • May 2019

Originally posted by nwdiver

I would prefer 3x 8s over 6x 4s because amps into the controller would be half as much.
    What about 4 x 6s. Would you prefer that over 6 x 4s and would that work with the Victron 150/100 CC?
    Ooops! I think you already answered that. Sorry!
    Last edited by Bozant; 07-03-2019, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

I would prefer 3x 8s over 6x 4s because amps into the controller would be half as much.
      That buys you thinner wires. But that also is 8 series panels, with a Voc of 172.8V which moves you into +200V charge controller$
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• MichaelK!
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2015

One question is whether or not you have already purchased these panels? They appear to be generic 12V panels, which I think are a waste of money. You'll get better performance and have less wiring headaches if you replaced them with 250W+ grid-tie panels. Let's say you get 9 260-275W 60-cell grid-tie panels. Just look on ebay and find someone that offers local pickup. Then you'd only have to worry about 3 strings to get the same amount of power as 24 of the 100s, and you'd spend on 1/3 to 1/2 as much money. Fewer breakers, less connections, fewer wires, ect.

Comment

• Bozant
          • May 2019

Originally posted by Mike90250

That buys you thinner wires. But that also is 8 series panels, with a Voc of 172.8V which moves you into +200V charge controller$
          It looks like l'll be able to do that. There was a problem with the shipment, so now I'm looking for a charge controller, batteries, inverter charger and everything else I'll need to get it going. All I have now is 12 x 100W of these crappy panels, 2 pairs of 40ft #8 cables, 2 pairs of 30ft #10 cables and useless 4 x 1 to 4 Y connectors.

This is setting me back but it maybe a good thing since it seems I was moving too fast ahead of myself without clear understanding what I was doing.

Anyway, it looks like I'll have to find CC that can handle 200V -- 2400+W. Would that be about 33A? 200/40 or what...?

Comment

• nwdiver
            Solar Fanatic
            • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Bozant
            It looks like l'll be able to do that. There was a problem with the shipment, so now I'm looking for a charge controller, batteries, inverter charger and everything else I'll need to get it going. All I have now is 12 x 100W of these crappy panels, 2 pairs of 40ft #8 cables, 2 pairs of 30ft #10 cables and useless 4 x 1 to 4 Y connectors.

This is setting me back but it maybe a good thing since it seems I was moving too fast ahead of myself without clear understanding what I was doing.

Anyway, it looks like I'll have to find CC that can handle 200V -- 2400+W. Would that be about 33A? 200/40 or what...?

Renvu is having a killer sale on MidNite Classics. It's 250 + HyperVOC (Battery Voltage). $290. Would be a nice little bit of savings if you can avoid buying a combiner box

Comment

• Bozant
              • May 2019

Originally posted by MichaelK!
              One question is whether or not you have already purchased these panels? They appear to be generic 12V panels, which I think are a waste of money. You'll get better performance and have less wiring headaches if you replaced them with 250W+ grid-tie panels. Let's say you get 9 260-275W 60-cell grid-tie panels. Just look on ebay and find someone that offers local pickup. Then you'd only have to worry about 3 strings to get the same amount of power as 24 of the 100s, and you'd spend on 1/3 to 1/2 as much money. Fewer breakers, less connections, fewer wires, ect.
              I would do that if l could find one that is less than 24" wide weighing less than 35 lbs.

Comment

• Bozant
                • May 2019

Renvu is having a killer sale on MidNite Classics. It's 250 + HyperVOC (Battery Voltage). $290. Would be a nice little bit of savings if you can avoid buying a combiner box
                I couldn't see if it works with lithium batteries? My concern is weight and safety of other batteries. It sure beats the $800 price of Victron.

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

Be advised that it's not a normal classic 250. It has the following features not included. The missing arc fault may prevent passing new install inspections
                  About This Product
                  Buck Only MPPT
                  No Internal Speaker
                  No Follow Me Mode
                  ARC Fault Disabled
                  They DO NOT have AUX 1 or 2 terminals so they can't be used with a WBJR or any AUX functions.

They DO HAVE an Ethernet Port so they can be used with MM2 and the Local App.
                  They can be updated normally using our normal Firmware via USB
                  They have Ground Fault Protection
                  BTS input jack is functioning
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• Bozant
                    • May 2019

Sorry guys, I'm still confused. If I have 3 x 8s, I don't need combiner box. I'm assuming that I would only need 2 x 1 - 3 Y connectors to a single #8 run to CC?

What if I have 4 x 6s, do l need combiner box then, or can l just use a 4 stud dual bus bar, close to my CC for the 4 cable runs or close to the panels for 1 cable run. Using 2 x 1 - 4 Y connectors for one cable run wouldn't be good here?

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

The midnight classic series is completely programmable and you can set voltage and time to nearly any values you like

Sorry guys, I'm still confused. If I have 3 x 8s, I don't need combiner box. I'm assuming that I would only need 2 x 1 - 3 Y connectors to a single #8 run to CC?
                      The legal guidelineI have seen, is 2 parallel strings, no fuse needed. More than 2 strings (which would be 3P8S) requires a combiner.

I've never heard of any mfg or AHJ inventing a saying if the amps are below some number on a sticker you can have more in parallel. Go that route at your own riskl

What if I have 4 x 6s, do l need combiner box then, or can l just use a 4 stud dual bus bar, close to my CC for the 4 cable runs or close to the panels for 1 cable run. Using 2 x 1 - 4 Y connectors for one cable run wouldn't be good here?
                      The fused/CB combiner box is to protect a damaged panel from burning, from power from other panels. Buss bars and cables cannot replace that protection.

You are still missing the 2nd point of the combiner box, to save running a bunch of wires a long distance. Box goes at the panels and you run 2 heavy wires to the controller.
                      But watch all the you-fool videos and foolish comments from the internet you like, that **** still won't stop a fire if conditions go sour.

Comment

• nwdiver
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Mar 2019

If you have 4 x 6s you will need fuses.

Comment

• Bozant
                          • May 2019

The midnight classic series is completely programmable and you can set voltage and time to nearly any values you like

The legal guidelineI have seen, is 2 parallel strings, no fuse needed. More than 2 strings (which would be 3P8S) requires a combiner.

I've never heard of any mfg or AHJ inventing a saying if the amps are below some number on a sticker you can have more in parallel. Go that route at your own riskl

The fused/CB combiner box is to protect a damaged panel from burning, from power from other panels. Buss bars and cables cannot replace that protection.

You are still missing the 2nd point of the combiner box, to save running a bunch of wires a long distance. Box goes at the panels and you run 2 heavy wires to the controller.
                          But watch all the you-fool videos and foolish comments from the internet you like, that **** still won't stop a fire if conditions go sour.
                          I think l got this part now. Safety is #1 here. Thanx. Where do I send the check?
                          The bus bar idea came from my "expert advisor." No wonder he has negative things to say about solar forums. With that kind of expertise, who would want a competition?

Comment

• Mike90250
                            • May 2009

On a managed forum, only the best & safe advice can be given by the unpaid volunteers. And we even try to purge the more egerious bad or simply dangerous advice

Comment

• littleharbor
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2016

Thanks Mike, As suggested previously, I thought the 3 strings is "ok" was bad and potentially dangerous advice.
                              2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Bozant
                                • May 2019

Then, if I understand you correctly, I can use the Midnite Classic 200 with lithium or other batteries because I'd be able to set its voltage to the voltage required by the batteries?

I guess the next thing is deciding the type, brand, size and the voltage for the battery bank. Any suggestions? Please! Thank you!

Comment

Working...