Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shemdogg
    • May 2019

Rv charge controller stuck in night mode

Hello! I have a net meter solar lcd30 controller and as soon as I plug in the panels, it goes into night mode. Ive tried playing w the settings, and trying different combinations of panels to get it going. It was working fine until I plugged a small inverter into the cig lighter and it blew the fuse. i replaced the fuse, everything works but the controller stays in night mode and everything with it seems to be working fine. Panels are putting out voltage, tried w battery at 13.5v and at 12.1v and nothing out to battery. Any idears?

thanks in advance
    shem
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Generally, the Load terminal on controllers, is only for small LED light loads. But this may not be what happened..

Did the fuse that blew, also connect to the Battery terminals of the controller ? Is the controller wired to the battery terminals ?

The controller should be connected FIRST to the battery, and then after it boots, connect the PV panels to the controller.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• shemdogg
      • May 2019

Thanks for the reply mike! I do let the controller boot up before I connect panels. I plugged in a small cig lighter inverter on the same circuit and that blew the circuit. CC was on that circuit. Maybe it fried the cc, but it boots up and seems to be working fine minus power output. The controller is wired into the trailers ac/dc box where the battery terminals come in and is on a shared fused circuit. Nothing is wired to the load side of the cc. Theres no internal fuse on my cc, thats why I wired it into a fused circuit. Any other idears?

shem

Comment

• Tecnodave
        Solar Fanatic
        • Mar 2019

Some controllers let out the magic smoke when power is abruptly lost with p.v. volts in, time for a ride home to get fixed, or replaced. Fuse everything separately

Comment

• shemdogg
          • May 2019

Im well versed in the magic smoke lol, this gave none and doesnt have that cooked electrical smell. Ill get another one, any recommendations? I have 275watts in 5 panels and a cupla deep cycle batteries for the trailer to run lights and the radio. Would like to run the house pond pumps off it while at home, picked up a 1000w inverter. Thanks for the replies!

shem

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

If it used to work, and a power-up reset / boot does not fix it, it's very likely fried, and you don't always smell magic smoke.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• shemdogg
              • May 2019

I picked up a new cc from hf today and now im getting 5 amps in. So yeah the old cc cooked, that sucks.
              thanks for the replies guys

shem

Comment

Working...