Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Umpa
    • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Mike90250

Batteries want about 10% of their capacity, as charge current. If you only take a battery down 20-30% from full, it would recharge in 3-4 hours at 10% rate.

If you had 400ah of battery, you want 40A of charging.
    600W @ 15V charge voltage = 40A So I'd guess 400ah is the largest your PV can support in good conditions. If you have a lot of clouds, or drain the battery deeply, you need more panel.
    Thanks, that's good news then. Its a plastic solar shed / shack so I will only be sleeping in it when my wife says so - lol.
    Cheers, I will start saving the pennies.

My current batteries were rescue batteries so they don't last long when there is no sun.

I hope to never go below 50%, so will get a few of them and over provision. It will be an ad-hock affair I think.

I think I want AGM, as I read they are low resistance and maintenance free, and I wanted a high capacity battery so I don't have to parallel too many to get what I want.

The shack panels are facing west, so only get afternoon/evening sun, but they don't suffer from shading, and I have the capacity to add the same again on the east side to get the morning sun. It's a case of working with what I have, and making the best I can.

At the moment my entire load is less than 500W, but that will increase I would imagine, FWIW I only use the shack during the day, and everything is off at night, and would likely only use it for 5 hours at a time, every other day at the max, and never during the winter time.

Comment

• Umpa
      • Apr 2019

Or would I be better off buying 2 of these and putting them in serious

You must check against the battery currently fitted to your vehicle before ordering to ensure that this is the correct battery for your vehicle. Because of this, we put all of our resources into getting you new battery out to you as quickly as humanly possible.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Originally posted by Umpa
        Or would I be better off buying 2 of these and putting them in serious

You must check against the battery currently fitted to your vehicle before ordering to ensure that this is the correct battery for your vehicle. Because of this, we put all of our resources into getting you new battery out to you as quickly as humanly possible.

That's the same as a 6v 200ah golf cart battery. I generally suggest the cheap, rugged golf cart batteries as a good starter set. You will need at least 20A to charge them decently.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• sdold
          • Jun 2014

If you are building a system to learn and have fun with, flooded batteries also let you check state of charge with a hydrometer, which you can't do with an AGM battery.

Comment

Working...