Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Originally posted by onesmallonebig
    Is this more like how I'm supposed to do it?
    I've got no idea anymore, I'm so lost trying to follow whatever your scheme is.

Instead of parallel batteries, you are making a parallel system ?

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• onesmallonebig
      • May 2019

Originally posted by Mike90250

I've got no idea anymore, I'm so lost trying to follow whatever your scheme is.

Instead of parallel batteries, you are making a parallel system ?
      LOLOLOL My plan is working perfectly... Too confuse the hell out of you guys. Page 37, Art of War
      My goal all along was to have two separate stand alone systems, hence my nickname "one small one big".

The relatively BIG 36V/1860W system is done. I love it. I finally pulled my head of my butt and changed it from 36v to 72v. It's working fantastic, thanks to mi Amigos here. The above numbers semi-prove it.
      It's all about reconfiguring the SMALL 12v system using what I already have now.
      Everybody said my SMALL 12v system is screwed up with 10 batteries in parallel, so I'm abandoning 12v and trying to reconfigure it into a 36V or 48v system.
      I'm trying to conform to that pesky Battery God law... 1-1/2 to 2 times the volts in to get half the volts out.
      these small panels are 12V nominal, but are always in the 17VMP volt range all day, everyday.
      I dont think I can get away with a 36V panel series setup, so I made a 48V diagram setup.
      Even 48V nominal is still low, but 4 x 17Vmp = 68 VMP volts. The Battery God shouldn't be mad at me?
      Still lost Mike?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by onesmallonebig; 06-22-2019, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• Tecnodave
        Solar Fanatic
        • Mar 2019

Yep, you are getting it. There is a learning curve to solar, Who said you can't teach an old drag racer how to do solar? LOL....

Suggestions......batteries:........my rap on batteries,

Automobile batteries are meant to start your car, that should take about 15 seconds, then their job is done, then they are going along for the ride. Golf cart batteries get all charged up at nite, then you go out on the course and they pull you around all day with no help at all, unless you are pushing.........they are in it for the long haul......get the differences? Car batteries get one big punch....Golf cart batteries are in it for the long haul......So what am I saying here....Golf Cart batteries are the battery of choice for solar use in small systems. Wear out what batteries you have and look into golf cart batteries, they come in 6 volt and 8 volt, stick with the GC-2 6 volt golf cart battery. Interstate markets pretty good ones, also sold at Costco. Way better for your use.

Batteries in parallel are problematic, large 6 volt batteries in series are much better for this use.

Controllers...better ones are better. The Chinese ones will do the job but are problematic . There is no manufactures support at all, you will get scripted answers. There are good American made controllers out there that are far more programmable than the Chinese cheepies, more pricey, but far more usable. IMHO way worth the price.....my favorite is the MidNite Classic 150 with the MNGP graphic control panel....pricey but very good, stable high performance controller which has the best manufacturers support of any controller, bar none. I have two Classic 150 controllers with > 2400 watts of 72 and 96 cell panels on each, not mixed, one has 72 cell panels in 2S6P configuration, the other has 96 cell panels in all parallel as these panels are 53.5 VMP so quite high enough in voltage for a 24 volt bank of batteries.

My battery banks.....Flooded Lead Acid L-16 size....428 a.h. 6 volt in series
        Rolls Surette S-530's L-16 428 a.h. 4 ea. In series, 14 YEARS OLD AND GOING STRONG...true solar use batteries
        Interstate floor sweeper batteries L-16, 470 a.h. 4 ea in series 8 YEARS OLD AND GOING STRONG.

No parallel batteries.....I have two nearly identical systems for 100% redundancy, no system fails, very little maintaince

I have never had a low voltage shutdown!!!!

Comment

Working...