Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could anyone help me with my EPEVER Charge controller settings ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could anyone help me with my EPEVER Charge controller settings ?

Hello everyone,

I have just built a small of grid workshop for my son so he can do all his electronic projects , I've have 3 x 12V 85ah sealed flooded leisure batteries connected in parallel to a
    EPEVER Tracer MPPT Solar Charge Controller

All seems we'll but reading up I'm conscious that I have not really changed any of the default settings within the controller

There are various voltage settings re Float etc and I really do not know what I should be doing with all those

i have changed the battery type type to Flooded and the Ah to 255 ( 3x 85ah ) is that right ?

I have tried to find the technical specs on my batteries but cannot find anything at all apart from the very basic specs

these are the batteries I have purchased.... LEOCH SFL-85 DT - SEALED MAINTENANCE-FREE LEISURE BATTERY (TWIN-TERMINAL)

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated

Here is what I have If that helps at all
    Attached Files

Comment

So you would use a Sealed battery setting, not flooded
      . Flooded batteries have removable caps to add water. Sealed does not have removable caps, they are sealed on with pressure relief valves built in

Sadly, the picture of the battery suggests, with the engine cranking specs. that it is a starter battery, not a deep cycle battery

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Hi Mike thanks for the reply

I was sold these as deep cycle leisure batteries , I've tried to copy and paste the little info I've found but it will not allow me to paste it here for some reason

its does say this though .... Specifically designed for cyclic use over sustained periods of time (deep cycle) and it is listed as flooded but I do agree with you that it is sealed as it's classed as maintenance free

Comment

Also those batteries have a C20 (20 hour) rating of 75Ah not 85Ah. The C20 is the rating to use when determining the amount of watt hours you can safely generate at X% DOD.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
            Also those batteries have a C20 (20 hour) rating of 75Ah not 85Ah. The C20 is the rating to use when determining the amount of watt hours you can safely generate at X% DOD.
            So what does this mean with regard to his tracer settings eg: should he be setting 255AH ?

Comment

Originally posted by Umpa View Post

So what does this mean with regard to his tracer settings eg: should he be setting 255AH ?
              No. With 3 x 75Ah batteries wired in parallel his system would be rated 225Ah.

Comment

The specs for that battery seem to say that although it is sealed, it is flooded, not AGM. I've never seen that before. From one site:

'"Technology Low-Down
                Flooded maintenance-free batteries are the sealed, wet-cell, lead-acid choice. They offer added convenience & safety over flooded serviceable options and their low initial cost makes them an appealing option for a variety of applications."

https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/12...ttery-sfl85dt/
                Last edited by sdold; 05-25-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

This isn't real comforting. "
                  Typical max. cycle life of 200 cycles @ 50% Depth of Discharge (DoD)"

Sounds like a typical "Maintenance free" style like they sell for car batteries.

The 20 hour rate is 68Ah.

Whatever this is doesn't sound real encouraging either,
                  Recharge cycles - 150
                  2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

No. With 3 x 75Ah batteries wired in parallel his system would be rated 225Ah.
                    I have been reading up on this C rating, If i have understood it correctly the batteries will Deliver 85 amps over 100 (C100 85A)hours or 75 amps over 20 hours (C20 75A)??

Is there a reason to use the C20 rating over the C100 for charging as there does not seem to be much in it ?
                    Would bad things happen if the wrong one is selected ??

I am reading up on it, but its nice to get a real world point of view.

Ump..

ps: I know the tech specs on the site give different numbers - I'm just quoting what's on the battery.
                    Last edited by Umpa; 05-25-2019, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Umpa View Post
                      If i have understood it correctly the batteries will Deliver 85 amps over 100 (C100 85A)hours or 75 amps over 20 hours (C20 75A)??.
                      I think they called it "C100" which is misleading, it should be C/100. 85 AH at C/100 means the battery would theoretically produce 0.85A (850 milliamps) for 100 hours. Since batteries are more typically compared at a 20 hour rate, 75 AH at C/20 means it would theoretically produce 3.75A for 20 hours. These imply that the battery produces more energy the slower it is discharged, which is commonly known as the Peukert effect.

Here's a good link if you want to read about this:
                      https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tool...-capacity.html
                      Last edited by sdold; 05-25-2019, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X