Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat Lift

Ahoy !

I own a vacant Lot (no Utilities or structures) in Delaware. The lot is located on a canal and has a dock. I'm going to install a boat lift this spring(2019). I'm asking for help assessing , designing and the feasibility of powering the boat lift with batteries, converter, and recharging with a solar panel. The Lift has two 3/4 hp 110v motors. I can run one motor at a time (forward and aft separately) to raise and lower the lift. run amps =10-14 actual about 7-8. I have been told by the manufacturer there is basically no peak starting amp load because of the pulley and gear configuration. The total run time will be 10 min or less twice a day at least 4 to 7 hours apart. I live 3-1/2 hours away from the lot so I will probably only operate the lift once a week, maybe twice a week a couple of times during the summer.
    I plan to build a deck box, place the batteries, dc/ac converter, and use an extension cord to connect and power the motors. I will mount a solar panel to recharge the batteries.
    My questions:
    What batteries do I need? AH, Volts, type? ( I'm thinking two 85 ah marine) What size converter? ( I'm thinking 2300 watt) {(modified sine)} What type and size solar panel and controller? And what about recharging and the size of the battery bank?
    My ears are open

Thanks
    Pete S.

You would do best to use DC motors, such as used on snow plows, etc. The starting and
    run requirements of AC motors with an inverter way complicates things. However your
    motors may AC/DC (universal, with brushes) better suited to such things, check them.
    Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...
    X