Mobile off-grid system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile off-grid system

Hello. I am building a mobile off-grid system for a neighbor and I have run into a Issue. So if anyone could that would be great. The setup is as follows.

2 - WZRELB Reliable 3000W Pure Sine Wave Solar Power Inverter 48V 120V 60Hz Power Converter LED Display DC to AC Power Generator with 100ft Wireless Remote Controller

8 - WindyNation 4pcs 100 amp-hour 100AH 12V 12 Volt AGM Deep Cycle Sealed Lead Acid Batteries

1 - EPEVER MPPT Charge Controller 80 amp, 12V/24V/36V/48V Auto, Negative Ground MAX 200V 6000W Input Fit AGM Gel Flooded User Blacklight LCD Display Large-Amp(Tracer 8420AN)

I have 2 banks of 4 batteries each (wired in serieseach bank). One inverter to each bank.

My question is can I wired the 2 banks in parallel to the charge controller?

Originally posted by ZombieDragon View Post
    Hello. I am building a mobile off-grid system for a neighbor and I have run into a Issue. So if anyone could that would be great. The setup is as follows.

2 - WZRELB Reliable 3000W Pure Sine Wave Solar Power Inverter 48V 120V 60Hz Power Converter LED Display DC to AC Power Generator with 100ft Wireless Remote Controller

8 - WindyNation 4pcs 100 amp-hour 100AH 12V 12 Volt AGM Deep Cycle Sealed Lead Acid Batteries

1 - EPEVER MPPT Charge Controller 80 amp, 12V/24V/36V/48V Auto, Negative Ground MAX 200V 6000W Input Fit AGM Gel Flooded User Blacklight LCD Display Large-Amp(Tracer 8420AN)

I have 2 banks of 4 batteries each (wired in serieseach bank). One inverter to each bank.

My question is can I wired the 2 banks in parallel to the charge controller?
    Yes, you can wire it.

But do you have enough charge capability to keep the batteries charged ?

Each 4 battery 48V 100ah bank, needs about 8 - 15 A of charging (depending on your loads) Wire them together and you need 15 - 30A of charging.
    Sealed batteries are not "magic" they still require being fully charged a couple times a week or they become sulfated , just like ordinary flooded batteries.

If you do wire them in parallel, use best practices, wire on the diagonal ( per method 2 here http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html ) and then check afterwards, with a clamp on meter, that they are indeed sharing power properly between the 2 banks.

Then you get the mind set of each user, "Oh, there is 2x as much battery, so I can do all the cooking with the microwave every day now."

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thank you it seems to be working correctly. However I have sense ran into another problem. There is a small room ac that he is trying to run. This was the main reason he wanted it built in the first place. According to the numbers I came up with there should be more than enough to run. It will go to start after about a second the output voltage on inverter drops to 60 then a few seconds later the inverter will go dark and then turn back on after about 20 seconds. If anyone has any ideas that would great. I was thinking installing some capacitors to help lower inrush current. EPSON200.PDF File is diagram of system
      Attached Files

Comment

What size wire do you have connecting the battery bank?

also connecting to the inverters?
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

4 awg, wire length from inverter to battery is 3 ft. but the battery banks wire is 0 awg just for connections the batteries themselves in series

Comment

Thank you it seems to be working correctly. However I have sense ran into another problem. There is a small room ac that he is trying to run. This was the main reason he wanted it built in the first place. According to the numbers I came up with there should be more than enough to run. It will go to start after about a second the output voltage on inverter drops to 60 then a few seconds later the inverter will go dark and then turn back on after about 20 seconds. If anyone has any ideas that would great. I was thinking installing some capacitors to help lower inrush current. [ATTACH]n392906[/ATTACH] File is diagram of system
            No real mystery going on here and fully expected. A 100 AH AGM battery can only deliver up to 25 to 40 amps without significant voltage loss. At 48 volts would mean the max load of about 1000 watts for about 1-hour. System is just not designed to do what was intended. If failed because it was planned to fail.

MSEE, PE

Comment

What would be your suggestion in the easyiest cheaped way to resolve this

Comment

What if I added a charge controller so each bank will have its own then parralell the 2 banks to one inverter

Comment

4 awg, wire length from inverter to battery is 3 ft. but the battery banks wire is 0 awg just for connections the batteries themselves in series
                  4ag is too small. 0awg is marginal.

Comment

What if I added a charge controller so each bank will have its own then parralell the 2 banks to one inverter
                    If you parrallel the banks then you have one bank. You need bigger wires

Comment

You have two major problems. One you can fix, and one you cannot. Unless you fix both, the system will continue to fail.

What you can fix is undersized wire. What you cannot fix is grossly undersized batteries.

Kinda like this, you gotta car without tires and an engine. You can afford new tires but not an engine. It will do you no good to put tires on it so you can push it around for an hour until exhausted.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

I will change out the 4 awg with 0/1 awg and what happens. Thanks all for helping Ill see how this pans out

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

A 100 AH AGM battery can only deliver up to 25 to 40 amps without significant voltage loss. At 48 volts would mean the max load of about 1000 watts for about 1-hour. System is just not designed to do what was intended. If failed because it was planned to fail.
                          Not that it helps too much but it is a 200Ah bank (paralleled 100Ah 48V).
                          It is marginal but the wires are way too small

EPSON200.jpg
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by ButchDeal; 03-03-2019, 12:54 AM.

Comment

I guess my next question would be what battery configuration would work for this.

Comment

I guess my next question would be what battery configuration would work for this.
                              When this bank fails, if the capacity is right for you, it's a perferct fit for Eight 6V 200ah golf cart batteries. Even possible to get them as sealed, but they won't last as long.
                              Parallel Strings, have a habit of not sharing current equally, and therefor walk themselves down to death faster.

Since it looks like the bank is already undersized for running an air conditioner for more than 10 minutes without sun on the panels, your next choice is to
                              a) add more battery capacity with lower voltage / higher amp batteries, ie 2V or 4V batteries wired in series
                              b) add capacity using floor scrubber L-16 batteries 6V 350ah eight in series to get 48V

At least you are already at a 48V system. Perhaps cable upgrade will solve the problem, # 4 is simply too small # O should be a big help. Have the cables hydraulically crimped, that's the only way to get a secure connection, 10 ton crimper minimum.
                              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                              X