Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is 13.8 too high to float lead acid batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is 13.8 too high to float lead acid batteries?

The charge controller I got has settings but it's a pos. Gonna invest in a new but atm, it floats the batteries at 13.8. I have a battery bank of 4 12 volt in parralel everstart deep cycle batteries. Will 13.8 wind up over charging?

4 parallel 12V batteries and you are off to a poor start.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I wouldn't worry about that float setting. Once the sun goes away your batteries will rapidly drop into the high 12.X volt range. As Mike 90250 mentions, your battery setup will probably be the cause of premature failure. Your batteries aren't really Deep Cycle batteries. They are hybrid batteries. When wired up into four parallel strings you're going to end up unevenly charging and discharging them to an early trip to the scrap heap. Next set should be 4, 6 volt Golf cart batteries and if at all possible set up in a 24 volt configuration.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

I am well aware I didn't get right batteries.
        Sun down they stay at like 13.0 to 12.9 for a while not used. I often don't use much other than cell phone charge after dark Theyre at 12.9 other day after I had to leave the farm for a few days.
        But I am concerned at life. So far, I've only done this maybe like 5 or 6 times, but when I do watch TV on the flat screen at night I get like 5 or 6 hours before I feel I'm pushing. Basically if the inverter drops below 12.2. It holds steady for a while. And the inverter always reads less than batts are. Once I shut off and check batteries without load I've yet to go below 12.4.
        Specific Gravity is in good range and uniform.
        Why would 4 good batteries in parralel go so quick?
        I understand they aren't suited for much draw or amp and watt hours but, if I keep them level from start of purchase and hook in parralel wouldnt they all stay the same?
        If I wasn't over or undercharging or draining too deep.
        I've since gotten a midnite solar classic 150 charge controller. And plan on upgrading my system to run the farm. I am going to get likely some pretty top of the line 6volt batts with good AH. And upgrade voltage and invest in the higher voltage inverters. Friend good with electronics gonna help. I've got 12 220 watt 24 v panels. With the right system I could prolly run the farm. Well, lights, and irrigation mostly. Occasional power tools. All in due time but for this growing season likely. Anyway. The 4 fake deep cycles will really go to junk that quick running a 60 watt flat screen and charging cell phones?
        Only have 12 volt 750 watt inverter atm. So couldn't up to 24 just yet. But would running the battery bank in parallel and series with the 4 I have atm be better for their life expectancy? I will likely be getting a 24 v or more inverter eventually because the well might need as much.
        For right now, I assumed the cabin with 12 vold lighting and only run cell phone and flat screen, not often on flat screen, would last me a little.

Comment

Thanks again for response. Sorry for my jumbled not well written response. I am fairly intelligent, self proclaimed, but am not best at grammar and punctuation and such.
          I know those batteries are not to par for course but, I'm accepting that it was an expensive lesson.
          I live in middle of nowhere and was spending way too much on gas just to charge phone now and then. I should have held out for better batteries but I don't get to town often and funds were limited.
          That said, should I reconfigure the battery system? Is it general knowledge that 4 12 volt hybrid "deep cycle" batteries in parralel is a definite no in any application? And why would the four ,6 volt batteries running in a series and parralel config be any different at uneven charging. Wouldn't parralel down the line be uneven, or quality of batteries would keep better batteries in parralel less apt to die early than the 6 volt in parallel. Again. Sorry for my lack of understanding and my jumbled response. Thanks again for all and any info

Comment

> Why would 4 good batteries in parallel go so quick?

Because there is resistance in the wires and connectors. Once you have resistance, you have varying currents, and some batteries get over charged, and some undercharged.
            A website here explains the math about why, and ways to correct for it.

In your future, I'd suggest using four 6V 200ah golf cart batteries, wired series+parallel for the best balancing with least expense. Also if your charging source is undersized, the batteries can never get fully charged.

Wiring a pair of batteries on the Diagonal, is nearly an ideal solution. Putting batteries in series electrically, is no different than a 12v battery of 6 internal cells in series, vs two 6V batteries, each with 3 cells in series. Cells in series always share the same current (one of the electrical laws - all currents in a series circuit are always the same)
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

+1 what Mike90250 said.

If you plan to run the farm, including well pump, irrigation, etc. some day go straight to a 48 volt system. This will allow you to get the maximum from your charge controller and give you the maximum array size before having to add another charge controller.
              2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

The problem was not the batteries themselves, but the wiring scheme.
                This is a good learning experience and is a prime reason why we suggest your learning batteries (training wheels) be simple and cheap. Golf cart batteries are the best of the cheapest. Using 12V marine batteries to get 48v from just 4, is a great way to start. They will run a 48V system and as you grow it, you can upgrade the battery bank as it fails.

Yes there is a way to scale up a system but you have to plan on scaling as you first start out.
                Get the expensive 60A MPPT controller. it will work at 12, 24 and 48V
                Go with the smallest # of batteries you need, just weekends and phone charging, 12V marine batteries are fine, nothing elaborate is needed. As you need more power, add on to your solar (you left room to add on from 300w to 2800 watts right ?) Pay attention to the Vmp & Imp and it's easy to scale up. You can use huge daytime loads while the sun is on the panels, and a small battery to get you overnight TV watching. As you need more nighttime power, you upgrade the whole battery bank as the old one fails.

Comment

Working...
                X