Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SlurpJ
    • Jan 2019

Off grid system design help please

So after several years of planning and working I'm getting ready to take the plunge and move into my off grid cabin full time. At one time I'd had a solar set up all researched and planned out but unfortunately the computer where all that info was stored crashed so I'm having to start all over with limited time. One of my first concerns is keeping it somewhat cheap, yes I know generating and storing power from solar is the opposite of cheap. I've got the option to have power ran to the property and while expensive it's not as bad as I would have thought. I have several projects to complete before then and other things that will prevent that from happening for probably 2 years at minimum if I choose to go that route. So in the meantime I'm trying to put together roughly a 2000 watt system which I think should be enough for my needs. Power consumption will mainly be a very small fridge, a few LED lights, charging phone, cell signal booster, occasional TV and a fan when hot, I assume I'll have to use a generator any time I need to run the air conditioner which shouldn't be much anyway.

I've found some panels at .33/watt that I am looking at purchasing 8 of very soon. They are used and I've seen them discussed here and I seem to recall a lot of people said to avoid them but I figured I'm probably not going to need them for too long and should I decide to stay off grid when it comes time to replace them the efficiencies of panels will have gone up and the cost down. Anyway here are the specs for them:
    • Rated Power: 245W
    • Open circuit voltage (VOC): 37.5 V
    • Max power voltage (VMP): 30.2 V
    • Short circuit current (ISC): 8.68 A
    • Max power current: 8.13 A
    • Power Tolerance 0/+3%
    • Maximum system voltage: 600V (UL)
    • Fuse Rating: 15 A
    • IP65 Junction Box w/MC4 Compatible Connectors
    • Frame: Anodized aluminum alloy
    • Weight: 41 lbs
    Am I off to the wrong start already?
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

There is nothing wrong with the specs of those panels. The real question is what quality level they were originally (warranty length?), and what condition they are in right now.
    As for the rest of your system, with a design AC wattage around 2000W you need to be looking for a 48V battery system. Absolute minimum 24V. Otherwise the currents involved are inconveniently high, both from charger and to inverter.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...