Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a load lamp recommended as a safety measure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a load lamp recommended as a safety measure?

Well not specifically a lamp but just something to draw from the load output from controller I'm still very new to all this and have read tons of literature and many threads about solar and still finding I have alot to learn initially I never gave much thought to the load output being anything other than just a port to attach lower dc voltage appliances from controller vs from battery bank. But the thought crossed my mind, is the load output also a measure to allow dumping of excess voltage and heat somewhere?

Renewable energy has 2 definitions of Load..

1) a small DC load output from a charge controller for a low wattage load, that the controller turns off when battery level gets too low

2) for wind controllers, when the battery is full, the turbine must remain loaded to prevent overspeed, so a DUMP LOAD is used to keep RPM's under control

For solar, you don't need to connect anything to the load, most DC loads will be to large and fry the load port on a controller.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post

For solar, you don't need to connect anything to the load, most DC loads will be to large and fry the load port on a controller.
      But if you want to make use of the controller's low battery detect feature (which, unless it is adjustable is usually too low for best battery life) you use the LOAD output to control a relay which then switches the controlled load.

SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...
      X