X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding wind to our p.v

Hi.

Hoping for some advise.

Thinking about setting up a small 600w 12 volt turbine , mainly to have some amps during the night.

We already run a small 600w bank of p.v into a c.c

the turbine has it's own c.c, you probably guess my question by now.

Can two c.c's service the same battery bank simultaneously?

To answer the question you asked, yes, two CCs can service the same battery bank at the same time. The main thing to watch out for is if, while in Bulk charge mode the two CCs together can deliver more charging current than is safe for the battery in question. The reason is that the two CCs will not communicate to limit the sum of the currents that they are individually supplying.
    To answer the question that you did not ask, it is a rare situation where small wind power actually works for a DIY user. Among other things you need a strong wind speed profile, not just occasional peak speeds. If you can go outside without tying your hat down you probably do not have enough wind. The power output of a wind turbine increases as the cube of the wind speed. That means that if a generator produces 200W in a 20MPH wind, it will produce only 25W in a 10MPH wind. Also, to get into the undisturbed air flow that drives a wind turbine well you may need a 40-60 foot tower. Higher if there are buildings,trees or hills nearby.
    Study existing threads discussing small wind for a lot more detailed information. Please!
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Great, good points, thanks.
      Our PV doesn't ever push more than 35 amps and I can't imagine the maglev very axis turbine were looking at will do more than that alone.
      I assume its product specific but do you think 70amps would be too heavy a load for our 600a/h 12/volt bank (series)?

​​​We live on top of a really big hill, super exposed so it seems wasted energy.
      ​​​​​

Comment

Wind turbines (WT) need overspeed control, often in the form of a Dump Load and controller. Those start to get expensive quickly as they must be ultra reliable, or the turbine overspeeds and grenades. The Wind charge controller can/should be programmed to limit it's output amps to what your battery is happy with
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

The model were looking at has both of those features. I would just need to know the max load we could push into our batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
            The model were looking at has both of those features. I would just need to know the max load we could push into our batteries.
            I assume that your 600AH at 12V is flooded lead acid. In that case you could charge a half-discharged battery bank at the C/10 rate, which is 60A, with no problems. If your PV is limited to 35A and wind only adds 25A you would be just fine.
            Note that vertical axis turbines, contrary to first impressions, do not do noticeably better in varying or turbulent wind conditions than horizontal turbines, and feathering them in high wind conditions is much trickier.

Comment

Funny. They use that as their biggest selling point.

Calcium batteries actually. Is there a table that shows suggested charge rates / battery types?

Its seems a bit of a dead end though in terms of expanding the system further if I buy a controller that can't eventually take more voltage than is initially setup for.

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                Funny. They use that as their biggest selling point.

Calcium batteries actually. Is there a table that shows suggested charge rates / battery types?

Its seems a bit of a dead end though in terms of expanding the system further if I buy a controller that can't eventually take more voltage than is initially setup for.
                True that! By starting off with a 12V system you have boxed yourself in from economical expansion. Getting CCs that can be switched to a higher voltage and a multiple voltage inverter you would at least preserve some options.

The unsteady and turbulent wind performance seems reasonable when you consider that a vertical axis turbine seemingly delivers constant power independent of wind direction. The problems are much more difficult maintenance and measured performance that does not live up to the hype. There are a lot of earlier threads in the Forum on that subject. Do not rely on the Forum search tool, instead use Google and include "site:solarpaneltalk.com" as an additional search term.
                Last edited by inetdog; 01-23-2019, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X