Morningstar TriStar MPPT-60 Wrong Reading Values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morningstar TriStar MPPT-60 Wrong Reading Values

Noticed that the values put out on the webpage that you get when you hook a MPPT-60 to your Ethernet network seemed low.

Measured each panel individually, and the total Amps was 17.62, and the Watts was 672.

However, the controller was showing 11.8 Amps and 351 Watts coming from the array.

Anybody else have this problem?..........is it broken?

Thx,
    z

What do you think the problem might be ?

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
      What do you think the problem might be ?
      That there's something wrong with it...........

I switched out a TS-45 and replaced it with this MPPT-60.......and I seem to recall the overall voltage was a lot higher before with the TS-45......Voltage got up to 29.5 consistently.......now I'm lucky to get 27 volts.......even after adding another couple panels..........

For instance.....right now (I admit it's early in the morning but the sun is up about 20 degrees)......and my entire array of 8 panels is putting out only 175 watts......according to this MPPT-60..........lol
      Last edited by Zardiw; 01-10-2019, 11:56 AM.

Comment

And I just measured 3 of my panels, and they're putting out 80, 79 and 31 Watts (the first 2 are tilted up 30 degrees, and the 3rd one is at 5 degrees tilt)...........That adds up to 189 watts.......

Comment

When you say you are measuring individual panels, are you measuring open circuit voltage and short circuit current? Those numbers will appear higher than the panel under load.
          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by Zardiw View Post
            And I just measured 3 of my panels, and they're putting out 80, 79 and 31 Watts (the first 2 are tilted up 30 degrees, and the 3rd one is at 5 degrees tilt)...........That adds up to 189 watts.......
            So, what does that lead you to conclude ?

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

So, what does that lead you to conclude ?
              That the controller is bad..........Disconnected all but one panel. Controller says it's putting out 80 watts. Measurement is 120 .....controller is only putting out 50-60% of power.

Talked to Morningstar........Sending it in.........they say it might be the firmware.......I say it's the electronics.....will find out........firmware is old......

PS......The engineering on this controller is screwed up. For one the temp is in C instead of F and no option to change it.
              Also no way to load firmware over Ethernet.....have to use RS-232 which is a PITA.....not to mention people have had loads of problems loading new firmware.
              And the display page could be better.......more values..........
              And forget about MSView.........that was designed by a cretin...

z
              Last edited by Zardiw; 01-10-2019, 03:33 PM.

Comment

BTW.....went back to the TS-45........System voltage is up to 28V now.........the MPPT-60 never got that high...... Bottom Line.......it's got the Spanish Flu...........z

Comment

The MPPT 60 web page has 3 parts:
                  Live
                  Network
                  Data Log

The log only updates every 30 minutes.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

That the controller is bad..........Disconnected all but one panel. Controller says it's putting out 80 watts. Measurement is 120 .....controller is only putting out 50-60% of power.

Talked to Morningstar........Sending it in.........they say it might be the firmware.......I say it's the electronics.....will find out........firmware is old......

PS......The engineering on this controller is screwed up. For one the temp is in C instead of F and no option to change it.
                    Also no way to load firmware over Ethernet.....have to use RS-232 which is a PITA.....not to mention people have had loads of problems loading new firmware.

z
                    Sounds like you're answering your own questions and on your way to a resolution or a way forward.

Comment

z
                      HA ! Try the firmware update on a midnight classic.
                      7 pages of instructions on how to load the USB driver, unless you have the right version of win 10 or XP. I never want to do that again ! I like MS View firmware updates. I don't know of anything that updates via HTML, it's not robust enough to be able to not brick your device

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                      X