X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Freeesun
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2018

A Note about Deep Cycle Batteries and Low Voltage Cut-off

that article vs that picture I have no idea.
    12v 150watt, 80ah battery, 75 watt inverter.

Comment

• Freeesun
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2018

I’ve just read that under load and no load the cutoff is different. I swear solar systems are the most confusing thing I’ve ever experienced.

no load or load I try and stop at 12v I hope that’s good enough.

Comment

• Freeesun
        Solar Fanatic
        • Oct 2018

Should I fuse my solar panel to cc? I’m getting different opinions here. I’m re wiring my system and was wondering if I can get rid of that fuse?

i have a single 12v 150watt panel running to my cc.
        someone told me fuse all positives and other say only fuse panels when you have more than one.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Freeesun
          Should I fuse my solar panel to cc? I’m getting different opinions here. I’m re wiring my system and was wondering if I can get rid of that fuse?

i have a single 12v 150watt panel running to my cc.
          someone told me fuse all positives and other say only fuse panels when you have more than one.
          You really aren't required to fuse a single panel but some people want to protect the wire between the panel and CC. You can add a fuse to protect the wire but that is your choice.

Comment

• Freeesun
            Solar Fanatic
            • Oct 2018

Thank you for the quick response I’m doing everything right now.

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

I like to suggest using a circuit breaker, instead of a fuse, It makes diagnosing easier, and can save the hassle of disconnecting the PV from the controller when booting the controller up,
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Freeesun
                Solar Fanatic
                • Oct 2018

Ya I’m going to put one there and before the fuse box.

Comment

• Freeesun
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Oct 2018

Anybody have any insight about charging cordless batteries with a inverter? I’m using a modified sign wave inverter to charge me dewalt 20v lithium batteries and just wanted to make sure I’m not messing anything up.

I’ve also emailed dewalt to see what they say but again the opinions on the internet are mixed.

i know they make a 12v charger and I have it but also have another charger plugged into my inverter.

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

You must make the sacrifice to the Modified Sine Gods. Plug it in, and see if it works or dies. The $39 inverter won't die, the $120 charger will, maybe
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• Freeesun
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Oct 2018

I’ve used it a few times already and then I started reading about it so I stopped using it. Both times I charged it the batteries worked but now I’m a bit scared. I wanted to see if anybody had anything to say in this forum. I’ll wait until dewalt tells me if it’s ok or not.

Comment

• Mike90250
                        • May 2009

DeWalt has to say NO. Their gear is certified for 120VAC pure sinewave.

Small light weight chargers use a switchmode power supply, and generally are OK with mod-sine
                        Heavy chargers with an internal transformer, or a heavy wall wart charger, don't do well with mod-sine, they heat up quite warm.

My guess is if the charger has been used and didn't seem overly hot, it's passed the smoke test and would be ok. I would not leave it plugged in when not actively charging,

Comment

• littleharbor
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2016

I wrecked a bunch of Makita batteries using a Mod sine wave inverter many years ago. Nowadays, I still wont try it again.Replacement batteries for cordless power tools are way to costly to risk.
                          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Freeesun
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Oct 2018

Ya it’s a 50/50 and I don’t like those odds. One of my batteries is acting funny which got me to start looking into this so I just stopped.

when I go to the shed and the battery is at 14.2 volts it’s still pulling 0.2-0.3amps to the battery and 0.0-0.1 amps to my loads. Is this normal? Should I find out what is taking 0.1amps and put it on a switch to disconnect it while I’m not in there? I believe it’s my car radio but I hav to pulled any fuses yet to see what it is.

Comment

• Freeesun
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Oct 2018

Dewalt actually said it’s ok to do it. Their recommendation is to use at least a 400 watt pure sign wave inverter.

anybody have any input on my above question?

Comment

• Freeesun
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Oct 2018

Just for fun, if I want to upgrade to 400 watts and run 12v appliances what would you guys suggest.

2 200 watt 12v panels
                                or
                                1 400 watt 24v panel with a 12v converter right before the fuse box.

Comment

Working...