No announcement yet.

solar system for shed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes asphalt is regularly used for roofing. Is it asphalt shingles or sheets of asphalt cemented together?. One usually sees that on roofs that dont have much pitch. Some call those flat or horizontal roofs.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Asphalt shingle not cemented together I don't think. I'm going to place it on the roof this weekend and hopefully all goes well. I hope I can hit the rafters and not just the particle board
      12v 150watt, 80ah battery, 75 watt inverter.

Comment

• The great thing about those flashing quick mounts is that they cover the holes made when you miss the rafters. I have never done that but if I did I would still put caulking in the holes. LOL
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• I've been reading th about lithium battery's and was wondering if I should even get one? I see that they are expensive but last much longer than the other ones. What would anyone recommend for battery type and what websites preferable able to ship to Canada would you recommend?

also I re read this convo and seen that someone said that if I don't ground my system that I need to fuse both the positive and negative of my battery and I don't need a fuse between my solar positive and cc. Is all thiss true?

Im starting to mount this weekend. Wish I could send pics

Comment

• Nobody has any input on lithium or fusing the negative terminal?

Comment

• In my learned opinion, Li batteries have a very small niche applications. They require learning a whole new set of caring over and above Flooded Lead Acid. They are expensive and when used in low stress applications, they seem to have a fairly long life.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• so you would recommend flooded lead acid? and do you know anything about fusing the negative terminal if i dont have a ground? or taking the fuse off of the positive from the solar panel to the cc.
                ive read before that you fuse all the positives?

Comment

• im trying to find a gc2 battery but i dont think they make them under 200ah which is too much for my panel. im producing around 9a in perfect conditinos which they will not be on my roof. so im looking for around 70-80ah battery.

i found this one https://www.power-sonic.com/product/dcg12-70/ and seems to be good but its not a gc2.

Comment

• If you don't need a large battery bank, then a single "marine deep cycle" is the next best thing to GC batteries. It will last a couple years, if cared for.

Fusing. Fuses protect the wires from burning. in an ungrounded system, it's hard to predict where a short might occur, so fuses on both - & + terminals are needed, in the size that protects the wire. Not all applications REQUIRE a ground, but it sometimes simplifies things.
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• i ended up buying this battery from wallmart today for around $150 canadian https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/eversta.../6000195362453.... its a deep cycle battery and it is a wet cell battery that is maintenance free. its 80ah and i think thats good for my 150 panel because im pointing the panel west and not south because of the orientation of my shed. my panel can produce 9.something but realistically im guessing around 8.

ive read that i shouldn't open the two top flaps on it and add water because that might void my warranty but im curious about when it says danger due to gasses. im planning on having this battery under my workbench and it says it might have gasses and to have it in a well ventilated area. so now im wondering if i should of bought agm to be safer or does everyone think this one is ok to sit beside this battery?

this week i hope to start connecting everything and power everything up.

thanks eveyone for the help for the 10000000000 time

Comment

• or just store it outside?

Comment

• The pic that wallmart has (, sure looks like that is a flooded battery, that need distilled water added monthly. And it will emit both acid fumes and hydrogen gas, so well ventilated is correct.

Comment

• I finally hooked everything up and it seems to be working fine, it’s a cloudy day and we’re in December but I’m not getting any readings on my cc for amps from my solar panel. I’m getting volts but Barely any amps maybe .1. I should be getting around 8-9 amps and I know we’re in winter on a cloudy day at 4pm but should I get at least 2-3amps? Is this normal?

I’m going to wait for a sunny day before I freak out but I do have a second question. On my cc I have a picture of a solar panel, a battery and a light bulb. Right now I connected the battery pictures outputs to my fuse box with a fuse is in. And I connected my battery to the fuse box directly.

everything works good but I’m wondering if there any difference in connecting it this way or let’s say battery directly to cc (with much smaller wires at the end) and the light bulb outputs to fuse box?

I guess all all I can think of is when I try and read the load going out of the cc it doesn’t say anything because of the way I connected it I’m guessing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Freeesun View Post
                              it’s a cloudy day and we’re in December but I’m not getting any readings on my cc for amps from my solar panel. I’m getting volts but Barely any amps maybe .1. I should be getting around 8-9 amps and I know we’re in winter on a cloudy day at 4pm but should I get at least 2-3amps? Is this normal?
                              Think in terms of around 1A under clouds. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Should I disconnect everything from the charge controller and reconnect it with the battery first?

Comment

Working...
                                X