Comments Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nomadros View Post
    They say, "One way to tell which mushrooms are deadly is, they are found in the stomachs of dead people".

and....

All mushrooms are edible, once.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look out for dead people.

I cooked a boar leg in a fire pit for 18 hours, fried up some mushrooms and mmmmmm. I'm thinking passion fruit or pomegranate jus and some honey with crushed hazelnuts and walnuts the next time. This picking stuff up (except the boar) and eating it business is great. The boar was subject to a large caliber round and I hope it's the bad tempered ****** that I had a 4 metre face off with at 04:30 one morning when I was armed with a piece of wood, a steely eye and quite damp underpants..

Paul L, thanks for the info, I'll look it up. They have it on amazon and there appears to be many download sites that appear to be a bit iffy.My next panel project is a biggy so I'll be doing it properly (subject to getting a permit to build the building and a further permit for the panels)
    If you are doing off grid only and not mounting on house roof ie: shed roof, Rack ect and PV Sys is not permanent connection to house, but connected by 30Amp plug&box(Disconnect) Your town should look at it as Emergency power system. Some places you don't need it inspected. Me and friend did a set-up like that we called for inspection. Sys was looked at and inspector said power side did not need to be inspected it being temp power, just inside house at panel/ transfer switch. He did point out using proper warning labels/ shutoff for fire dept. Every town is different

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Land View Post

If you are doing off grid only and not mounting on house roof ie: shed roof, Rack ect and PV Sys is not permanent connection to house, but connected by 30Amp plug&box(Disconnect) Your town should look at it as Emergency power system. Some places you don't need it inspected. Me and friend did a set-up like that we called for inspection. Sys was looked at and inspector said power side did not need to be inspected it being temp power, just inside house at panel/ transfer switch. He did point out using proper warning labels/ shutoff for fire dept. Every town is different
      Sounds like you got off easy. My County requires permits for just about any permanent solar pv installation. Which is why I have to make sure my panels can be moved or easily removed.

A good reason for permits and inspections is that there are way too many DIY that do not know what they are doing and can get hurt playing with electricity. So you need to have at least someone that is experienced in electrical at least look at the system before it is energized.

Case in point. I can't tell you the number of people here in FL that kill themselves when they try to use an emergency generator. So even emergency power systems need to be looked at.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Sounds like you got off easy. My County requires permits for just about any permanent solar pv installation. Which is why I have to make sure my panels can be moved or easily removed.

A good reason for permits and inspections is that there are way too many DIY that do not know what they are doing and can get hurt playing with electricity. So you need to have at least someone that is experienced in electrical at least look at the system before it is energized.

Case in point. I can't tell you the number of people here in FL that kill themselves when they try to use an emergency generator. So even emergency power systems need to be looked at.
        Licensed Electrical Contractor is a Given for DIY or DIE!

Comment

Hi all.....A wee update. Installed 2 x 200W panels in series on a trailer (still no permit for permanent mounting) and as SunKing said, I only really needed 2. The combined charger/inverter works fine (it'll take min 400w @24v up to 800w @ 48v) and but I'm not happy with the Gel battery (230ah 12v). A few things I've learned.... 1) solar panels actually work, which is news to a newby like me. 2) I need to concentrate on storage first for the next time as that seems to be the major issue as I can get 7 days of fog. 3) Must read up on earthing as that's been bugging me from the off.
          _trailer.jpeg
          I'll therefore take all this a bit more seriously from now on, but for the moment I have power to do what I need to do. I'll read up before making more posts!

Comment

Working...
          X