Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • douglasjett
    • Jan 2018

Single Phase inverter

Hi all. I recently acquired a Chinese 48v, 220v 60hrz, 3500 watt inverter. I've been looking at step down transformers and options for splitting to split phase... But, nothing has grabbed me as the most practical thing to do yet. Anyone have experience with single phase split phase conversion? Anyone have experience with a step down box to basically make this thing 110v? How about just running my 2 mini split AC's directly of of single phase?? Any ideas (except throw it in a lake) are much appreciated.

I'm off grid in Mexico. I currently have my house running on a 750 watt l 12v system. I have 9 (255 watt) panels, Midnite 150 cc and 80 12v 110ah solar batteries. It would be nice if I could some how use this single phase to make my system better.

Thanks!
  • douglasjett
    • Jan 2018

Also, there seem to be a lot of step up / step down products out there... Do they make a step down split??

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by douglasjett
      I'm off grid in Mexico. I currently have my house running on a 750 watt l 12v system. I have 9 (255 watt) panels, Midnite 150 cc and 80 12v 110ah solar batteries!
      Now that is some funny stuff, I do not care who you are. You built a bomb.

FWIW you already have a Single Phase Inverter and 9 times 255 watts = 2295 watts.
      Last edited by Sunking; 10-02-2018, 01:30 PM.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• douglasjett
        • Jan 2018

running on 6 panels and 4 batteries currently Mr. Sunking. As usual will you give me advice on my problem... You know how to utilize the single phase 220... And NOT make fun of my solar system. Thanks

Comment

• ButchDeal
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

Hi all. I recently acquired a Chinese 48v, 220v 60hrz, 3500 watt inverter. I've been looking at step down transformers and options for splitting to split phase... But, nothing has grabbed me as the most practical thing to do yet. Anyone have experience with single phase split phase conversion? Anyone have experience with a step down box to basically make this thing 110v? How about just running my 2 mini split AC's directly of of single phase?? Any ideas (except throw it in a lake) are much appreciated.

I'm off grid in Mexico. I currently have my house running on a 750 watt l 12v system. I have 9 (255 watt) panels, Midnite 150 cc and 80 12v 110ah solar batteries. It would be nice if I could some how use this single phase to make my system better.

Thanks!
          I am confused about how you have 9 X 255 watt PV modules but claim to have a 750w system?
          9 X 255 = 2,295 watt != 750w

do you have the array set up in some virtual tracking system to feed that 2.3kW through a midnite 150 CC at 12V?

and you mention 80 110ah batteries?!?! is that a typo? are you trolling? you really have 80 12V batteries in parallel?

You can get 110V from 220V with an autotransformer BTW.

your best bet is to go with a 48V system , use the new inverter, wire 8 of the batteries in series parallel for a 48V 220ah bank get an auto transformer for the small loads. sell everything else
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ButchDeal
            You can get 110V from 220V with an autotransformer BTW.
            POWER BRIGHT made a VC3000W for converting either way at 3000VA, or a VC2000 for
            2000VA. Pretty heavy, some dented ones seen on Evil Bay. I have some to get rid of cheap,
            less than new cond, but very expensive to ship. Bruce Roe

Comment

• douglasjett
              • Jan 2018

Ha! I have 8 batteries... You guys must have thought I was insane. Sorry about that. Just looking for suggestions on the single phase 220. Thanks again.

Comment

• douglasjett
                • Jan 2018

bcroe. I have a similar 5000w unit ordered. Question how well do they work? How much power loss did you experience? It has 2 110v outputs. I wonder if I will be able to use those to make a split phase 220? thx

Comment

• NukeEngineer
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2017

The Hammond C1F003XES would do it. You just have to wire the primary and secondary sides to get the split-phase 220v you're wanting (should be 240v, but that chinese inverter is only doing 220v?). That particular model can do 3kVA.
                  https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=54099

Comment

• bcroe
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2012

bcroe. I have a similar 5000w unit ordered. Question how
                    well do they work? How much power loss did you experience? It has 2 110v outputs. I
                    wonder if I will be able to use those to make a split phase 220? thx
                    I did not make measurements of these at idle or under load. Possibly I could in a few days,
                    currently just on my shelf. A transformer does consume power even unloaded, with losses
                    increasing as loaded. Idle losses are going to be pretty much proportional to size/max
                    capacity. One way to cut losses is use a trans with a tape wound core (such as found in
                    a Variac/Powerstat), but they are more expensive. Running at reduced voltage helps too,
                    I have resorted to such things when the big wall wart vampire cleanup was happening.
                    Bruce Roe

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

You guys must have thought I was insane.
                      Thought?

Just looking for suggestions on the single phase 220. Thanks again.
                      They are called TRANSFORMERS, you need one.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...