Off Grid Expedition LMTV setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Grid Expedition LMTV setup

I'm in the research process for my LMTV conversion.

It was difficult to find an area that addressed all my components.
    The truck has a 12/24VDC alternator, the primary bank consists of four 12vdc TL batteries wired for 12 and 24vdc output.
    A 28vdc diesel 3.5KW generator is mounted on the rear box for backup.
    The plan is to put four 300-350W mono solar panels on the roof for 24vdc primary power to an inverter.

An 8000btu 110vac AC (10A max) and small fridge/freezer 110vac plus a convection cook top will be the major consumers. I haven't decided on hot water for showers but would prefer to avoid propane.

Would also like a "shore power" input in case of staying somewhere with power for extended time, winter storage etc.

Seeking recommendations for inverters, controllers, switching etc.

Someone recommended a Tesla auto battery as the aux battery bank for more storage/$ than the battleborn units?

Any input and advice is appreciated.

If you want hot water for showers, you are really looking at propane or high diesel bills for heating water. Propane is the proven solution.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I've been using one of these tankless water heaters for years. This type is inexpensive and has never given me any issues whatsoever. It can be plumbed in for permanent mount. I use mine by hanging it on a single screw on the side of my camper and have a shower tent that the handheld shower head goes into.

tankless water heater.png
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
        If you want hot water for showers, you are really looking at propane or high diesel bills for heating water. Propane is the proven solution.
        Interesting. ...

Where I live propane sells for $3.29/gallon and diesel is around $3.49/gallon.

Propane yields about 91k BTU / gallon.

Diesel yields about 140k BTU / gallon.

Propane - $.036/1k btu

Diesel - $0.025/1k BTU.

Unless my calculator is broken, propane is almost 50% more expensive than diesel.

Comment

Here is what I have for heating water: https://www.webasto.com/us/markets-p...lastic-heater/

Comment

I just did the annual propane refill at $1.29 a gallon. Not so long ago it was $1.00 a gallon. Bruce Roe

Comment

Diesel, burned in a generator, roughly yields, 33% heat, 33% electricity and rest is lost
              1 litre of petrol 9,1 kwh 32,6 mJ
              1 litre of diesel-oil 10,0 kwh 35,9 mJ
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                I just did the annual propane refill at $1.29 a gallon. Not so long ago it was $1.00 a gallon. Bruce Roe
                Wow!

I have to ask, where are you located?

I have not seen propane for less than $2.00/gallon in 20 years

Comment

Originally posted by PNW_Steve View Post
                  Wow! I have to ask, where are you located?
                  I have not seen propane for less than $2.00/gallon in 20 years
                  I am in northern IL, just west of Rockford. In 2004 I bought propane for $1.05 a gallon. This
                  summer it was $1.299. One lesson I soon realized, is buy it in the hottest part of summer,
                  when demand and prices are lowest. The price gets manipulate over the seasons, even
                  more so recently. In a recent Feb, just about when everybody was empty, I saw it go to
                  $5.30 a gallon. The industry says they had a pipeline problem, in reality they started shipping
                  it out of the country as fast as possible to create the "problem". That makes it twice as
                  expensive as electric resistance heat, I didn't buy any propane. The fact that we were
                  always able to get propane (or any other fuel), no real shortage, tells me it was just an
                  artificial manipulation.

There was some sales tax added.

Lately I have made some of the local watchdogs (CUB) aware that people could change over
                  to electric instead of paying those ridiculous prices. However, rushed electric heaters have risks.
                  I heat with PV solar. Bruce Roe
                  Last edited by bcroe; 08-24-2018, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post

I am in northern IL, just west of Rockford. In 2004 I bought propane for $1.05 a gallon. This
                    summer it was $1.299. One lesson I soon realized, is buy it in the hottest part of summer,
                    when demand and prices are lowest. The price gets manipulate over the seasons, even
                    more so recently. In a recent Feb, just about when everybody was empty, I saw it go to
                    $5.30 a gallon. The industry says they had a pipeline problem, in reality they started shipping
                    it out of the country as fast as possible to create the "problem". That makes it twice as
                    expensive as electric resistance heat, I didn't buy any propane. The fact that we were
                    always able to get propane (or any other fuel), no real shortage, tells me it was just an
                    artificial manipulation.

There was some sales tax added.

Lately I have made some of the local watchdogs (CUB) aware that people could change over
                    to electric instead of paying those ridiculous prices. However, rushed electric heaters have risks.
                    I heat with PV solar. Bruce Roe
                    I don't know where the OP is located or will be buying fuel. A review of fuel prices in his area may make the decision easier.

Bruce,

I am amazed at how cheap your propane is. I have been propane for locally here in Dayton WA for about 8 years and have watched the price go from $2.99 to $3.29/gallon.

Comment

Sad update..............

Dayton WA propane $3.79 a gallon.......

Just filled my truck up down in MF for $3.28/gallon for diesel

Comment

> The truck has a 12/24VDC alternator, the primary bank consists of four 12vdc TL batteries wired for 12 and 24vdc output.

So, I just read this part, and am trying to understand what you are doing . Does the vehicle have a 12V system that is tapped into the 24v system? Pulling power from some of the batteries in a bank, can seriously un-balance the bank and cause huge issues in a week or so.
                        What are TL batteries ?

A tesla battery is a 95% fire hazard if used without it's thermal control system and it's BMS. Don't even think of it.

Comment

Looks like Ohiobenz forgot his password. One opening statement and then nothing for 10 days.
                          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Came across this... Apparently notifications went into spam or something....

The project is still active. A lot of time has been spent on the vehicle itself, very little on the habitat.

This summer the entire truck charging system was changed to a single voltage 24v 200A alternator.
                            The vehicle battery bank is now split with a smart isolator to ensure starting ability. A Bussman Equalizer keeps the bank balanced and provides a 12v tap for the cab items that require it.
                            A 60W 24V PV via a Victron 75/15 MPPT provides battery maintenance when parked.

There are now four 320W 48v mono PV on the roof.
                            The fuel system now has approximately 150 gal, with one tank being an auxiliary for the 3.5KW 28vdc backup genny and the diesel water heater.
                            Avoiding propane as a fuel.

The battery bank is still planned to be 2 Tesla 24v slabs.
                            I've been thinking how to integrate the PV and batteries. I'm aware that the Tesla slabs require a BMS. Should I charge them in series 48v through a Victron, or have them in parallel 24v output from the Victron? Advantages/disadvantages.....

I finally have a building the rig fits inside of. Maybe it will be heated this winter....
                            Otherwise progress will continue to be slow.

Comment

Working...
                            X