Solar Build For Vehicle Recharging On Desert Camping Trip - Advice please!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Neex
    • Aug 2018

Solar Build For Vehicle Recharging On Desert Camping Trip - Advice please!

Hi everyone, I've been an avid reader here, and have been loving all the knowledge people have been sharing here.

I've done some basic solar builds as hobby projects, but I'm looking to do something a little more complicated both for the challenge and the learning opportunity, and I could use some insight from the pros here.

I'm planning an upcoming Southern California desert trip where we will be bringing some electric vehicles (Onewheels), and I want to set up a way to recharge at our camp.
    A Onewheel battery is a 63v 324Wh NMC battery. I'm hoping to get a solar battery that can hold at least three charges, so I'm looking for at least a 1kWh battery in the 20v+ range.

An average solar build looks something like this:
    Solar panel -> charge controller -> SLA battery -> Inverter/DC loads.

However, I would like to steer away from an SLA battery, as the Onewheel chargers suck a fair amount of current (63v, 3.2a), and if we're charging three boards at the same time, I don't think an SLA battery can keep up and maintain the capacity I need.

I found a pretty good deal on a 1.3kWh 22.2v NMC battery on ebay, and I would like to try and incorporate this into a solar system. I would love to tackle the challenge of getting this to work, and the nuances involved with this more complicated battery.

Here is the battery in question- There are only 3 left, so I'd love to hit "buy" ASAP if you guys think I can make this work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-Batte....c100005.m1851

What I'm looking to build specifically is this:
    Solar Panel (I'm thinking 200W) -> Charge controller (with support for custom charge voltages) -> 6s, 22.2v NMC Golf Cart battery (60ah, 1.3kWh) -> Inverter/DC loads.

My big question is in regards to the battery; Are there any big red flags that you see? Can I expect it to function as a normal 6s 22.2v Lithium battery?

I don't foresee an easy way to manage cell balance. How would I go about keeping these cells balanced? Should I instead limit charging and discharging to 20%-80% SoC?

I can buy a cable that looks like it gives me access to the individual cells. Do I need to worry about that? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-Batte....c100005.m1851

I will probably avoid the inverter and charge the Onewheels directly from the DC current. I currently have a voltage boost converter that charges my board from a 6s 22.2v 16ah Lipo, and it works great. I would basically just be running this off the solar battery now.

Anyways, I would love everyone's thoughts on the battery! I'll provide specifics on the rest of the build once I lock the battery down, as I would love to hear if I'm working towards any problems.

Thank you!
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

I'd skip the fancy used Li battery and instead use a pair of golf cart batteries for each charger. You are wanting a system to push the limits, and you may find a used Li pack becomes unbalanced under heavy charge and discharge.

Have you done the end-end math - how many panels, how much time to recharge what the vehicle battery consumes ? Batteries used to be called Accumulators, and if they are depleted, must be recharged.

You didn't state the complete recharge cycle stats only chargers suck a fair amount of current (63v, 3.2a) x3 without a time spec or if that is the onewheel battery side, or if you need 63v charging station built from 10 FLA batteries.

Do your math in Watt Hours. The wheel battery needs _______wh to be recharged, and figure what the 12v side is, or are you having to invert to 120VAC to run a charger? Add in the inverter losses too (or your converter board losses)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• jflorey2
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Neex
      I found a pretty good deal on a 1.3kWh 22.2v NMC battery on ebay, and I would like to try and incorporate this into a solar system. I would love to tackle the challenge of getting this to work, and the nuances involved with this more complicated battery.
      I'm with Mike here. Get 2 T105 batteries and either charge from 12V or from an inverter. To charge them, easiest way is to use your car.

T105's will have no problem at all supplying 600 watts.

Comment

Working...