Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Moleman
    • Jun 2018

Low wattage project ideas

I'm fairly new to solar, and a first time poster. I have 5 15w amorphous panels. Nothing special, I know. I'm guessing its probably pretty silly to set up a charge controller and battery bank for such a small amount of output. I was also thinking of using them to power a DC water pump during the day, but I'm wondering if it would even give me enough juice to run a decent sized pump.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

No one except you can answer what a decent size pump is, but if you bought a pump designed to operate straight from directly a from a 60 watt solar panel is in the range of 1 to 2 GPM for a couple of hours per day at max flow rate around noon hours/ But there is a catch, the pumps are very expensive like $700 dollars to run off a 80 watt panel.

The second issue is amorphous panels run at higher voltages than silicon panels. Solar pumps are made to operate from 12 and 24 volt battery panels. So look at the specs of your panels Vmp. 18 volts = 12 volt battery, and 36 volts for 24 volt battery. Now go Google Solar Water Pumps and see what you can find.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...