Mobile solution for 36V eBike battery

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • urdjur
    • May 2018

I actually found a youtube video of a Canadian guy having done almost exactly the same thing:

He uses this:

So yeah, DC and boost controller instead of 36V panels, but I don't think that particular detail matters much. What impressed me was the efficiency he was getting. With about 120W of solar, he could travel continuously with a 500W motor on sunny summer days (he used two batteries and switched when one was down to 25%). Made me think I shouldn't worry about battery weight so much, and that two packs is the way to go.

Anyway, this seems to narrow it down to two alternatives really, both DC: 12V panel and boost controller, or 36V panels directly. I think this will come down to what panels I can find and what measurements they have, to make an optimal mounting solution for the trailer. Either way it seems simple to also get other voltages to charge peripherals etc.

Comment

• jflorey2
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by urdjur
      So yeah, DC and boost controller instead of 36V panels, but I don't think that particular detail matters much. What impressed me was the efficiency he was getting. With about 120W of solar, he could travel continuously with a 500W motor on sunny summer days (he used two batteries and switched when one was down to 25%). Made me think I shouldn't worry about battery weight so much, and that two packs is the way to go.
      You are much better off connecting them both at the same time. Longer runtime, longer battery life etc.

Also I have used the Genasun controllers and they are much easier to use than a dedicated 36V array.

Comment

Working...