X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by wetsu151 View Post
    Ok, lambaste me if you like, but I'm planning to eventually run a 8000btu window shaker for 12hrs a night
    it pulls 800 watts when the compressors on and 100watts when it's off so I'm thinking about 8kwa each night
    we have a 9.5 kva generator we usually run but are trying to get off that for peace and quiet.

my plan is an outback flexmax 60 on 48v bank
    8 trojans in series with a 438ah capacity
    maybe 3000 watts of panels
    Outback inverter/ charger 2500w,

we only stay about 2 nights in a row, then gone for 2 weeks, if we need we can run the generator to top off batteries in the afternoon

please let me know what you guys think
    I know , it's gonna be a big system
    IMO that 48v 438Ah battery system should safely provide you with about 5.3 kWh a day by using 25% DOD. If your estimate for your daily load is 8kWh then I would say your battery bank may be small and will not last as long as it could because you will be discharging it about 40% each day for the two nights you use it.

That may work for you since you are only in the cabin every couple of weeks but it still will hurt those Trojans a bit and shorten their life.

I will say that 3000w and a 60A CC may be a little fast for that battery system but in reality you will get less than 60amp which should get you inside the C/8 charge rate. Just keep an eye on your SG values.

I would also look into getting a kill a watt meter to measure what that AC unit will really be doing to your battery system. Estimates are fine on paper but in reality it could kill your system if you underestimate your needs.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 04-29-2018, 09:37 PM. Reason: added last sentence

Leave a comment:

• Hunting cabin with air conditioning, it's florida for God's sake

Ok, lambaste me if you like, but I'm planning to eventually run a 8000btu window shaker for 12hrs a night
    it pulls 800 watts when the compressors on and 100watts when it's off so I'm thinking about 8kwa each night
    we have a 9.5 kva generator we usually run but are trying to get off that for peace and quiet.

my plan is an outback flexmax 60 on 48v bank
    8 trojans in series with a 438ah capacity
    maybe 3000 watts of panels
    Outback inverter/ charger 2500w,

we only stay about 2 nights in a row, then gone for 2 weeks, if we need we can run the generator to top off batteries in the afternoon

please let me know what you guys think
    I know , it's gonna be a big system
Working...
X