X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HOS2S
    • Mar 2018

Starting a Solar and Survival company

Hello,

I am a co-founder of Hoot Owl Solar 2 Survival. I helping to create the company, the only thing I am trying to work out is creating specialized kits for the die-hard survivalist. What types of kits are people looking for? My co-founder is the expert on the solar products, I am specialized in survival from my 10 years in the Marine Corps. in solar energy, we also have ventured in vertical windmills.

Is it better to focus on Rv Kits or Portable tent kits? I really like the kits that break out of briefcase kits and set up without any effort.

What do you guys think? any product advice?
    Last edited by sdold; 03-19-2018, 09:49 PM. Reason: Link removed, please talk to Solar Pete before posting links to your business
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

The problem with solar, it is not a 1 size fits all. Generally, each site and user have different requirements.

Solar always starts with LOAD Calculations. Then you add the local Sun Hours and Weather and you can develop the size of battery and backup generator.

in the same zip code, the site on the ridge and the site on the east facing hill, require totally different systems.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• HOS2S
      • Mar 2018

With a focus on survival preparedness, the portable solar mats the rollout or even fold up into notebook size are inadequate? maybe good for a backpacker but not so good for a family striking a claim in a campground with wanting night lights around camp.

with every system they all need the basic components, is it not possible to build kits to fit basic needs for individuals? I've seen businesses trying to sell such kits, are they not selling them? I'm not too focused on Profits. I'm more focused on affordability and effectiveness. (simple to use systems) the plug and play types. keeping people from destroying invertors and mixing up AC/DC currents lines.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by HOS2S
        With a focus on survival preparedness, the portable solar mats the rollout or even fold up into notebook size are inadequate? maybe good for a backpacker but not so good for a family striking a claim in a campground with wanting night lights around camp.

with every system they all need the basic components, is it not possible to build kits to fit basic needs for individuals? I've seen businesses trying to sell such kits, are they not selling them? I'm not too focused on Profits. I'm more focused on affordability and effectiveness. (simple to use systems) the plug and play types. keeping people from destroying invertors and mixing up AC/DC currents lines.
        The biggest issue with "kits" is that most people will not understand it's limitations and end up destroying their battery from over discharging.

For someone that understands solar technology and the limitations that comes with a small system you might be able to build a typical "kit".

The second issue with "kits" are that they are usually way over priced for what they can generate in kWH per day. While people are selling those "kits" for large profits they seem to not provide true output data and usually end up with angry customers.

Comment

• HOS2S
          • Mar 2018

Originally posted by SunEagle

The biggest issue with "kits" is that most people will not understand it's limitations and end up destroying their battery from over discharging.

For someone that understands solar technology and the limitations that comes with a small system you might be able to build a typical "kit".

The second issue with "kits" are that they are usually way over priced for what they can generate in kWH per day. While people are selling those "kits" for large profits they seem to not provide true output data and usually end up with angry customers.
          Don't most batteries only last a couple of years? and shouldn't the charge controller prevent over charging a battery?

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by HOS2S

Don't most batteries only last a couple of years? and shouldn't the charge controller prevent over charging a battery?
            Yes the charge controller should keep the battery from being over charged unless you pump too many amps into it too fast.

The bigger issue is that if you discharge your battery system more than 50% a couple of times you will kill it off much sooner then it's posted life. Most FLA batteries provide the highest number of cycles when only discharged about 20% each time. Discharge it more and the life is severely cut.

Comment

Working...