Off season/non use- what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off season/non use- what to do?

I have a 100 w panel and controller for limited use at a hunting cabin.

We use the panel to charge a 12 volt battery to use for powering small 12 volt lights, USB cell phone charger, etc at a seasonal hunting cabin. All of these items are not used at the same time. The system has been working great for our needs.

We are about to end our season and the lights, etc will not be used for the next several months.

My questions is what should we do with the solar system for the off-season? We do not want to cause any harm to the panel/controller and have no need to keep the system functioning during the off-season. We can bring the battery home and keep it maintained during the off season. However, the solar panel is mounted on the roof of the cabin and we do not want to remove it.

Example:

Should we simply disconnect the panel leads from the controller and isolate them? And/or

Should we cover the solar panel so it is not generating any power?

We don't want to do anything that would harm the panel/controller and would just like to be able to pick up where we left off when next season gets here in about 8 months.

I'm a newbie to solar so any suggestions on how to handle this situation will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You shouldn't have a panel connected to a controller without a battery already connected. If you have done this in the past, well, you must have a controller that is not harmed by this situation. If not you should disconnect the solar panel first, then the battery. Your panel wont be harmed by leaving it where it's mounted. At only 100 watts it will not create a dangerous situation if left disconnected, no need to cover it. When you return next season connect your fully charged battery first then your solar panel and you are back in business. You should check that your panel is ,one, still there, and two, clean if necessary..
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Disconnect the panel from the controller before removing the battery. Some controllers will let out the magic smoke if you remove the battery first. Cover the panel so someone does not steal it.
      Last edited by Suprasoup; 01-23-2018, 05:06 PM. Reason: One day I will figure out this apostrophe stuff.

Comment

You could connect a DC fan to the panel and circulate air in cabin attic or crawl space if you have moisture problems. Too little power to do any resistance heating.

Comment

Real simple, disconnect the panel from the controller, take the battery home and put it on a float charger. As for the panel and controller hope me and my friends do not find it.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Ok guys, why do anything? The solar keeps the battery topped off when not in use... Theft?

Comment

Originally posted by morgandc View Post
              Theft?
              Theft.

Comment

isolated cabin
                shiny solar panels
                gangs on snowmobiles
                What could go wrong ?
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Hello all,

I can't post a new topic or send a message. I apologize for taking over this thread, but I am in need of some help.

I am a service manager for an electrical contractor. I have a client that would like to charge 3x 12v RC182 Deka marine master batteries via solar. I believe the batteries to be 93 amp hours each, could be wrong. The customer is currently charging with a line running out from the breaker panel all the way to the dock, and wants to change that. I will post a picture of the charger being used once i receive it later today. I want to make sure all of my bases are covered, and I want to provide the customer with the best possible solution while still being cost effective. I am sure this is the place to find assistance, I thank you all in advance. Please let me know if I have left out any pertinent information.

Comment

I would not even think about using solar to charge the batteries if you have line power already on the property. I would invest in optimizing the solution they have now and forget about mounting solar panels, working with charge controllers, dealing with cloudy days, etc.
                    Most people can manage a typical battery charger hookup. Most people can't manage a solar stand-alone setup.
                    Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

The only way to optimize the current setup would be to add a subpanel and run new underground conduit to the dock, which is going to be very costly. Between a new subpanel/conduit run and solar, the customer chose solar, I am trying to find a way to make that happen.

Comment

As expensive as the conduit is , solar is much more expensive.
                        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Cost is not prohibitive in this case, running the conduit is going to be thousands of dollars anyway, and the customer would prefer solar to running more wires from the panel. Besides, there is not breaker space available in the panel. When yall say 'too expensive,' how expensive are we talking? Located in sunny socal, overcast days are not too much of a concern.

Comment

Originally posted by serviceboyer View Post
                            Cost is not prohibitive in this case, running the conduit is going to be thousands of dollars anyway, and the customer would prefer solar to running more wires from the panel. Besides, there is not breaker space available in the panel. When yall say 'too expensive,' how expensive are we talking? Located in sunny socal, overcast days are not too much of a concern.
                            The rough cost of a solar / battery system is around $2000 for every kWh is can safely deliver each day. The biggest adder are the batteries which have to be replaced every 5 years or so regardless of how much sun you get.

I spent less than $1000 to run a 50Amp service about 200 feet underground which is probably way bigger then you need.

Also a piggy back breaker can be added to most panels.
                            Last edited by SunEagle; 02-07-2018, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X