Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skunkarific
    • Sep 2016

What do you guys think of this battery?

I am currently running 12x100w renogy monocrystalline wired for 120V, epever 40A MPPT charge controller with MT50, 4x Duracell SLIGC 115 FLA, 24V 2000/4000 psw inverter, 1800W generator, iota 27Vx40A charger in Southwestern Ohio. I use about one kilowatt a day. My PVs are currently generating 1.5 kilowatts per day, and these are pretty short days. I would like to get about 2 days of backup from the batteries in case of overcast conditions. If I don't get that I am easily able to fire up the generator. I am ready to replace my batteries, I was looking at 8 Duracell Ultra SLAA6-200c AGMs, wired for 24V. What more information do you need, or, what do you think of that?
    Last edited by Skunkarific; 01-21-2018, 04:39 AM.
  • Suprasoup
    • Oct 2017

Correct me if I am wrong but isnt the Duracell SLIGC115 a 230 AH battery?

230 AH x 24v = 5.5Kwh. If we go by the 5 day reserve capacity based on your daily usage which nets you 2-3 days actual reserve.

1Kwh x 5 = 5Kwh. That battery should have met your 2 day backup requirement. Are you using more energy than you think?

Last edited by Suprasoup; 01-21-2018, 03:39 PM. Reason: getting units of measure correct.

Comment

• morgandc
      • Feb 2015

If you read the sticky posts, you will find that for the most part this forum recommends Flooded Lead Acid batteries for price/performance and to NOT put battery strings in parallel. This particular proposal goes against that rule of thumb.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Your terms and math need work. For one those batteries are 230 AH @ 6 volts. I assume you have them wired in series for 24 volts which gives you 24 volts @ 230 AH which yields a capacity of 5. 5 Kwh with 2.8 Kwh usable.

With 1200 watts of power you cannot support a larger battery, and never ever parallel batteries. Learn the difference between:
        • Power = Watts
        • Energy = Watt Hours

Last edited by Sunking; 01-21-2018, 02:58 PM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• Skunkarific
          • Sep 2016

Well, thanks for the advice about not putting the batteries in parallel, why is that, BTW?
          Also, what would be wrong with using AGM batteries as opposed to FLA?
          I am definitely sure about the amount of energy use. I do want more storage. And yes, the batteries I have are currently wired in series for 24 volts.
          What would be wrong with having more storage if I made sure that the batteries got charged fully?
          Last edited by Skunkarific; 01-21-2018, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

cons of parallel batteries covered here http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

pros: quick & dirty & easy (always easier to do it wrong, than right)

AGM batteries, you are paying $$$ for spillproof aircraft batteries, that seldom last as long as a flooded version.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Skunkarific
              • Sep 2016

I looked at the link you posted, it shows three ways to successfully wire batteries in parallel. I am done doing things quick and dirty, I think I'm definitely on the path to doing them right so I definitely looked at that link. Am I missing something?

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

It does indeed, show ways of wiring batteries in parallel. You can also never flush a toilet, and just spray room freshener after every use.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Skunkarific
                  • Sep 2016

I'm supposed to flush?

Seriously, though, I'd like to get more capacity, any suggestions? Not to many choices above 230ah

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Skunkarific
                    I'm supposed to flush?

Seriously, though, I'd like to get more capacity, any suggestions? Not to many choices above 230ah
                    Look at lower voltage batteries (2v, 4v & 6v). They come in higher Ah ratings and can be wired all in series to get your final battery system voltage.

ie. 6 x 2v 500Ah batteries wired in series will get you a 12v 500Ah system.

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Oct 2011

I'm supposed to flush?

Every battery manufacturer I know of makes an L-16 deep cycle that's rated between 350 and 450AH. If you're not finding them you're not looking very hard.

Comment

• Skunkarific
                        • Sep 2016

It would have been better to have asked, "Where have you looked?", ​​​​​​Instead of saying that I haven't. I have personally visited three different battery distributors in Cincinnati, which is an hour drive away, so, I have about six hours in driving and about four and a half hours in looking.
                        I am aware of 2 volt batteries, and really like them, except that I would need 12 of them to get to 24 volts for my inverter. White wolf, I did look up that series of battery, which up to your comment did not know existed, and, believe it or not, I found them at Lowe's for $149 a piece. That is fantastic, and exactly what I needed.
                        What do you think?

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Deka-6-Volt-4...iABEgIWG_D_BwE
                        Last edited by Skunkarific; 01-22-2018, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

I looked at the link you posted, it shows three ways to successfully wire batteries in parallel.
                          Yes it makes a pile of chit not stink as bad, does not make it smell like a rose. Basically a a band aid for people who screw up and already bought batteries. There is absolutely no reason to ever parallel batteries in a home battery system. They make FLA and AGM's anywhere from 10 AH to 6000 AH.

As for AGM vs FLA, well AGM is 400% more expensive. They cost twice as much and last half as long as FLA.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...