Only getting 160-200 watts from a 400 watt setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only getting 160-200 watts from a 400 watt setup

I have only been getting 160-200w max from my off-grid 400w setup. My setup includes 4 renogy 100w mono crystalline panels mounted on the roof and connected in series, a 30a Epever Tracer charge controller, and a 300ah battery bank. The run from the panels to the controller is 50' of #8 solid copper wire. Is there anything in my setup that may be affecting this or something I could change to increase the production?

Approximately where are you located (zip code)? At what angle are the panels tilted, and what direction do they face?

The power will naturally taper down as the battery becomes charged. If you watch the output while you are running a load, does it make a difference?
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
      Approximately where are you located (zip code)? At what angle are the panels tilted, and what direction do they face?

The power will naturally taper down as the battery becomes charged. If you watch the output while you are running a load, does it make a difference?
      Zip is 50010. Panels are south facing at a 33 degree fixed pitch of the roof. When running a load the wattage only increases by approx 30w

Comment

When your wattage increases with load, it only means that your batteries are nicely charged (or the controller thinks so), so is not drawing more power from the panels than it needs. If you are mostly in this state, you will mostly see less than full power through the controller.

Any shade issues?

Comment

offgridEMT ,

Was your system installed and running in June ?
          Did your PV Array ever produce about 320 watts, under full load, at Solar Noon in June?

The sun is much lower and weaker now, therefore your generated Watts will be much lower than June.

A tilt of almost 60 Degrees, vs your Fixed 33 Degree tilt, is optimal for winter.
          Last edited by NEOH; 11-09-2017, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X