Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScottM
    • Jul 2017

Solar panels and battery(s) required for pond aeration

Want to run a solar aerator for my 1/4 acre pond approx 12 hours per day from May through Sept using a Hi Blow 80 pump @ 71 watts in NE Ohio during daylight hours. I am stumped on number or panels and amp hour/battery(S) required. I am familiar with other components required such as inverter, charger, mounting, etc. I know running 24/7 would require a much higher cost so am trying to get away with just the minimum in panels and battery...any help would be appreciated!
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Hello ScottM and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

To run that pump 12hours a day will consume 12h x 71w x 1.15 = 980wh or about 1kWh. The 1.15 is a fudge factor for losses.

A safe battery system size would need to provide about 4 to 5 times that amount. So at 4kWh you are looking at a 12volt 340Ah battery or 24v 170Ah battery.

A 12v 340Ah battery would need about 34 charging amps or about 400 watts of panels with a 45amp MPPT CC. About half that wattage with a 24v 170Ah battery but you have to also determine how much sunlight you will get during the days you want to run the pump.

Your panel wattage would need to be sized so it can put back more watt hours then it uses. So knowing where you live will help refine the array size but for a quick calculation and using the months of May to Sept lets say your worst usable sunlight hours at 4. NE Ohio may get less than 4.

So at 1000wh and 4 hours you need about 300 watts which meets that 400 watt system for a 12volt battery.

Remember that if your estimate of using 71watt for 12 hours is low you may need to upsize the system numbers.

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2011

I wouldn't advise using that air pump. If you want solar your better off using something that can be run solar direct. Such as :

Get 2 100W 12v solar panels and mount them in a 60D pyramid with one facing east and the other west. Hook those to a linear current booster and then to the pump. They should have no problem running10 to 12 hours a day when sunny. No batteries to maintain and cheaper initial cost on the setup.

Comment

• AzRoute66
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2017

Wy_White_Wolf, from the Amazon listing for that pump: "Suggestions for Safety 1.Voltage: Please use pure direct current ranges from 12.0V-14.0V(21.6V-26.6V). Running the pump in voltage below 12.0V(21.6V) or above 14.0(26.6V) is improper, which will damage the pump easily. " This seems at odds. Can you link to the 'linear current booster' you suggested?

Sounds like you have actual experience with this setup, so I'm sure there is no real problem...

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by AzRoute66
          Wy_White_Wolf, from the Amazon listing for that pump: "Suggestions for Safety 1.Voltage: Please use pure direct current ranges from 12.0V-14.0V(21.6V-26.6V). Running the pump in voltage below 12.0V(21.6V) or above 14.0(26.6V) is improper, which will damage the pump easily. " This seems at odds. Can you link to the 'linear current booster' you suggested?

Sounds like you have actual experience with this setup, so I'm sure there is no real problem...
          You are correct without a constant regulated power source that pump may not perform well and can even fail.

IMO I would still add the CC and battery system or find another pump that is more tolerable to the fluctuations of power coming directly from a solar panel system.

Comment

• ScottM
            • Jul 2017

Thanks for all the excellent responses and alternative. The HI-Blow 80 has outstanding longevity and quietness and is used in many pond applications Although the Amazon pump is much cheaper and without batteries, the system would be tons cheaper with the White Wolf suggested setup.

I am concerned however on the reliability and noise (not many reviews on Amazon) of the DC Amazon pump however and also see many linear current boosters advertised at a big range of prices and would not be sure on which one applies. So unless someone can suggest a link to a specific booster that will work with this pump,I am leaning towards the cc and battery system as SunEagle suggests and probably would be more comfortable with setting up the components.

Running electric is out for me because of distance to house and running a trench all around the septic system. Don't plan on setting up until the Spring so time to start saving money! Again thank everyone all for your knowledge. Now I have a pretty good idea on setup requirements and costs.....

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ScottM
              Thanks for all the excellent responses and alternative. The HI-Blow 80 has outstanding longevity and quietness and is used in many pond applications Although the Amazon pump is much cheaper and without batteries, the system would be tons cheaper with the White Wolf suggested setup.

I am concerned however on the reliability and noise (not many reviews on Amazon) of the DC Amazon pump however and also see many linear current boosters advertised at a big range of prices and would not be sure on which one applies. So unless someone can suggest a link to a specific booster that will work with this pump,I am leaning towards the cc and battery system as SunEagle suggests and probably would be more comfortable with setting up the components.

Running electric is out for me because of distance to house and running a trench all around the septic system. Don't plan on setting up until the Spring so time to start saving money! Again thank everyone all for your knowledge. Now I have a pretty good idea on setup requirements and costs.....
              I understand you feel that running a power line from the house to the pump would be costly but based on a lot of feedback it can cost you about $2000 to $2500 to build a solar/battery system that can delivery 1kWh. So with a 4kWh system you may be looking at a price tag of $8000 to safely build and install that system.
              Last edited by SunEagle; 10-30-2017, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• drbob
                • Mar 2017

I have built many lake aeration systems (200+)using automobile smog pumps driven by a 1/2 hp electric motor. Being from northern Wisconsin the purpose of the units was aeration to prevent winterkill of fish. What the aerator does is set up a circulation current to keep the surface ice free by drawing the warmer water from the bottom of the lake. The trick to make this work is to build a diffuser that will mist the air out like fog from a depth of 5 feet below the surface. A 1/2 hp motor will easily aerate a 5 acre pond if there was deep enough water and 10 feet is about right. Bear in mind the ice usually gets 30 inches thick here.
                A quarter acre pond is a different matter altogether and summer aeration is different matter too. What you really need is something to keep stirring up the water to keep it from getting stagnant. An aerator will do that with air to create that circulation loop but in your case I would use a 12 volt trolling motor. These motors will run thousands of hours trouble free. Just set the motor deep enough and at a slight angle to pull the bottom water up to the surface. I have done this too.
                Last edited by drbob; 10-31-2017, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• drbob
                  • Mar 2017

a battery really isn't necessary then just mount 100 to 300 watts of 12 volt panels directly to the trolling motor and just let it run, I was thinking 24 / 7 operation and this is tons simpler

Comment

• sensij
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by drbob
                    a battery really isn't necessary then just mount 100 to 300 watts of 12 volt panels directly to the trolling motor and just let it run, I was thinking 24 / 7 operation and this is tons simpler
                    Agreed... A battery makes no sense in this application. There is a whole sub-forum here for DC pumping from solar, lots of good nuggets in there.
                    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by sensij

Agreed... A battery makes no sense in this application. There is a whole sub-forum here for DC pumping from solar, lots of good nuggets in there.
                      The OP wanted to run the pump 12 hours a day. Not going to happen without batteries.

Comment

• kb58
                        • Sep 2017

So how about the OP justifying the rational for the 12-hr window. Where'd it come from? I have a koi pond and know that virtually all the "rules" of pond keeping aren't - they're more like suggestions or rules of thumb. If you can run it for 6 hrs with only panels, or 12 hrs at 10x the expense, better have a good reason!

Comment

• drbob
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by SunEagle

The OP wanted to run the pump 12 hours a day. Not going to happen without batteries.
                          are you kidding

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by drbob

are you kidding
                            No. I don't believe you can get the proper amount of sunlight in NE Ohio or for that matter anywhere in the world for 12 hours so I have no idea how you can run a 71 watt load from solar pv for that long even if you track the sun.

The question is does the OP really need to run the pump for 12 hours. If 8 hours is a better time frame then there is a possibility you can do it just using panels without a battery.

Comment

• drbob
                              • Mar 2017

I believe you are right sun eagle. The system I installed uses a 30# thrust minkota endura c2 trolling motor, a plain old marine deep cell trolling battery and 2 230 watt 24 volt solar panels and a cheapo charge controller. It draws about 30 watts on speed 1 and 60 watts on speed 2 it runs 24 hours a day on low from may till October. It does an amazing job on a 1/2 acre pond with an average depth of 5 feet. it has run about 4300 hours this year. Not bad for a 109 dollar trolling motor. Its used on a fish rearing pond
                              Last edited by drbob; 11-01-2017, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Working...