X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wezzerv
    • Sep 2017

Please advice and review my Solar DIY setup

Good day guys,
    This is my first topic and I am really a newbie in solar systems, I hope I can get a advice and
    Clarification on my setup required. This is Off-Grid DIY project for my warehouse.

Here is my setup:
    5 Panel x 100watts = 500watts
    1 Inverter 1watts (Pure sine wave)
    1 PWM Controller 12/24volts 30amps

20 LED Bulbs (max) at 10watts each (200watts) x 12hours to run everyday = 2400watts hour
    required standby time at least 24hours

Now my question is:
    What Battery I would size I need, is it 200AH or two 150AH 12volts is good enough?
    Normally in Philippines I can get a sun for I would say at least 6-7hours daily maybe 8hrs max)

My solar Panel specs:
    Pmax 100w
    Voc = 21.2v
    Lsc=6.25A
    Vmp 17.6V
    LMP=5.68A
    Max Sytstem Voltage 700VDC.

Can you please advise me on this setup.

Than you and advance.
    Last edited by wezzerv; 10-04-2017, 10:58 PM.
  • max2k
    • May 2015

Originally posted by wezzerv
    Good day guys,
    This is my first topic and I am a newbie in solar systems, I hope I can get a advice and
    Clarification on my setup required. This is Off-Grid DIY project.
    Here
    your post was cut off- try to remove special chars, like bullets etc- copy text to clipboard and then paste into some plain text editor. Then copy from the editor and paste here .

Comment

• wezzerv
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by max2k

your post was cut off- try to remove special chars, like bullets etc- copy text to clipboard and then paste into some plain text editor. Then copy from the editor and paste here .
      Thanks mate, post updated..

Comment

• max2k
        • May 2015

Good day guys,
        This is my first topic and I am really a newbie in solar systems, I hope I can get a advice and
        Clarification on my setup required. This is Off-Grid DIY project for my warehouse.

Here is my setup:
        5 Panel x 100watts = 500watts
        1 Inverter 1watts (Pure sine wave)
        1 PWM Controller 12/24volts 30amps

20 LED Bulbs (max) at 10watts each (200watts) x 12hours to run everyday = 2400watts hour
        required standby time at least 24hours

Now my question is:
        What Battery I would size I need, is it 200AH or two 150AH 12volts is good enough?
        Normally in Philippines I can get a sun for I would say at least 6-7hours daily maybe 8hrs max)

My solar Panel specs:
        Pmax 100w
        Voc = 21.2v
        Lsc=6.25A
        Vmp 17.6V
        LMP=5.68A
        Max Sytstem Voltage 700VDC.

Can you please advise me on this setup.

Than you and advance.
        OK, your daily consumption is going to be 2.4kWh of energy. Your PWM charge controller is inefficient kind and can only extract about 70% of available PV energy, so at the minimum you'd need 2.4kWh / 0.7 = 3.4kWh of PV energy from the panels. Given 5 hrs of sunlight it would require: 3,400 / 5 = 720W of panels. I know you said you have more than 5 hrs but the problem is those hours will not be in full sun. Anyways, it sounds like just to cover your daily needs you'd need 8x 100W panels; 5 panels sound too little to cover for your required load.

Assuming when you said 'standby time' you meant 'autonomy time' - ability to run the lights for 24 hrs straight without solar. For that to happen and if you use deep cycle FLA batteries (not car batteries) you'd need to store 4.8 kWh of usable energy. FLA batteries last much longer if you discharge them no deeper than 50% co you're looking at battery capacity of 9.6 kWh. 9.6kwH / 12V = 800Ah FLA battery. It is usually bad idea to connect 12V FLA batteries in parallel and solution is to buy lower voltage cells with bigger capacity and connect them in series. If you can increase your system voltage from 12 to 24 or even 48V provided your inverter can take it the same 9.6 kWh would require 9.6kWh / 48V = 200Ah which can be achieved with 8 Trojan 225Ah 6V batteries connected in series. Short of using those, forklift / golf cart batteries (even used ones) were popular choice for cost sensitive applications.

Comment

• wezzerv
          • Sep 2017

Hi max2K,
          Thank you for the quick response. I have adjusted/lowered down the number of watts I required now down to 140watts, then the hours run the lights continuously to 10hours from 12hrs. but I still need to have extra power to run it for 8-10hrs in case required .
          So, from this changes:
          140x10=1400
          1.4 /.07 = 2.1kWh
          2.100/5hrs = 420watts of panel.
          Required standby time= 8hrs
          So, from the setup above, can you please advise me again the battery required.
          I'm using deep cycle solar battery.
          And if I add 1=panel 100watts Panel on it is it battery will stay the same ?

Thanks again..

Regards..
          Last edited by wezzerv; 10-05-2017, 06:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• max2k
            • May 2015

Hi max2K,
            Thank you for the quick response. I have adjusted/lowered down the number of watts I required now down to 140watts, then the hours run the lights continuously to 10hours from 12hrs. but I still need to have extra power to run it for 8-10hrs in case required .
            So, from this changes:
            140x10=1400
            1.4 /.07 = 2.1kWh
            2.100/5hrs = 420watts of panel.
            Required standby time= 8hrs
            So, from the setup above, can you please advise me again the battery required.
            I'm using deep cycle solar battery.
            And if I add 1=panel 100watts Panel on it is it battery will stay the same ?

Thanks again..

Regards..
            I'm a little confused. Assuming you need to run your lights for 10 hrs after sunset and you don't need to run them during daytime your daily load demand will be as you calculated, 1.4kWh. Now, do you need extra energy to run lights sometimes for additional 10 hrs or not? If you do then you'd need battery to hold that extra energy as well to the total of 2.8 kWh. Depending how often you'd drain all 2.8 kWh you might need extra battery capacity to prolong its life or not. In the classic case you don't want to be below 50% SOC after draining 2.8kWh which means total battery capacity 5.6kWh. You divide this number by total battery voltage (inverter input DC voltage) to get total battery Ah as I shown above.

If your inverter is capable of taking 24V DC this would require 5.6kWh / 24V = 233Ah battery, close to what you have if you connect 2x12V 200A batteries in series. 12V inverter would need those 2 batteries to be connected in parallel. While not very good idea it doesn't sound you have a choice.

Is replacing charge controller with MPPT one an option? If you continue to use your current PWM one the energy daily demand from the panels: 1.4 kWh / 0.7 = 2kWh with 5 sunlight hrs requiring 2kWh / 5h = 400W of panels. In MPPT charge controller case you don't need to divide by 0.7 and could get away with 300W of panels due to its higher efficiency. Adding panels will increase current available to charge batteries up to max 30A rating of the charge controller. With 24V battery you'd need to connect 4 panels in 2s2p fashion to double their voltage and it will produce close to 11A charging current. For 12V battery you connect all 4 panels in parallel to the total charging current of 22A. Adding to more than 5 panels total in this case will cause 'clipping' of the charge current during full sunlight hours due to max 30A rating of your controller. This is not as bad as it sounds and it is commonly done this way (by adding +10-20% extra panels) as it improves charging performance during weaker sunlight periods charging your batteries faster overall.

Comment

• wezzerv
              • Sep 2017

Hi max2k,
              Thanks again for your prompt reply.
              Basically 10hrs will run only during night time, and during day time, lights are totally off.
              It's a bit clear for me now, that the extra reserved 8-10hrs is the charge of the battery during day time. and that will be used for another 10hrs during night time.
              So basically 1.4kWh is my daily demand.
              From my setup and if I use a two x 200ah=400AH at 12volts and I have another MPPT Controller that I can use EPSOLAR 4210-40Amps (from AliexpresS) with the following specs:
              40A
              Max PV input Power 520watts (12V) / 1040Watts (24V)

My inverter is:
              DC Voltage = 12v or 24volts
              AC votlage = 220 VAC
              1000W

Do you I have a proper setup if I use 2 battery banks of 200AH = 400AH?

Thank you and regards
              Last edited by wezzerv; 10-05-2017, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Working...