Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kb58
    • Sep 2017

Documentary - "Life Off Grid"

The documentary's currently streaming on Amazon Prime.

Various terms like "off-grid" and "survivalist" have gotten a bad reputation, but it didn't used to be that way. "Off-grid" simply meant someone not connected to the electric utility, usually because they live too far out to justify the expense of connecting. This Canadian documentary interviews about a dozen people living off-grid, and just fine thank you. As part of that lifestyle, they tend to do a lot of other stuff on their own as well and I found myself somewhat envious, with the near-daily engineering challenges. The problem is, what happens when you get sick and can't fix stuff? I always wondering about how early homesteaders handled illness, but I'm off topic.
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Only a bad rep. for those who don't want/need/understand an off grid lifestyle. But I try to differentiate those who choose what they think is a better (simpler ?) lifestyle from those who separate themselves from society for reasons that seem to be borne of some social pathology.

I get self reliance, but, sometimes, I wonder if self reliance is a red herring for fear of life and its curve balls. Survivalists living in the middle of nowhere in bomb shelters with 20 yrs. of canned goods, weapons and ammo, surrounded by trip wires and land mines come to mind. That's a head scratcher to me.
    Last edited by J.P.M.; 10-01-2017, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Living off grid requires someone to be in a life style much different to what most people would like. Sure there are some that go off to Alaska or to the deep woods and enjoy a homesteader pace but along with maybe a more peaceful life comes with a higher degree of needing to survive simple things that can be cured or remedied by living close to medical facilities.

I do admire those that choose an off grid life style so that they can have peace and happiness but like JPM I scratch my head when I hear people going off grid because they want nothing to do with society (good or bad) or want to "survive" some type of terrible world event. I would not want to live that way and from what I have heard no one in my family would.

Comment

• peakbagger
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2010

The folks I have run into who are the happiest with off grid living are the tinkerers that have a way of earning income to fund their hobby. One of my friends professors at tech school bought an old hydro plant and put it back in operation. He owned the old dam keepers house. The power lines were right across the street but this was before PURPA so the utility made it financially unattractive to hook up the grid, even when it was, he just didn't want the hassle. He had all sorts of excess power most of the time and did all sorts of odd things to use it up. Of course he was always tinkering with it and every 15 or 20 years would get flooded out and have to start from scratch. He had a couple of sons who he trained to take over when he wasnt in the picture. I have run into similar folks and it came down to they did it as a hobby and economics didnt factor in except that they grudgingly would admit they spent far more money on the hobby than they ever would get back in power savings. Usually the same sort of folks who fix up old steam engines or one lungers and bring them to shows on weekends.

The folks who are the least happy are the ones who bought into the glossy sales pitches that off grid is simple and reliable and bought remote land for what they thought was a good deal as they were going off grid. Many got their start looking at idiotic videos on the web or believing claims made by folks selling dreams. Some people who went off grid make the transition to starved power lifestyle but many end up selling the gear on craigslist and selling the property frequently after a couple of years of hardships and occasionally after a divorce.

I am not immune to the lure as I am an engineer. I have been keeping my eye out for years on a property near me where someone had spent a bundle on putting in the infrastructure of a small hydro. By the looks of the property, the owner is or was a tinkerer and its not just a hydro system that is abandoned. The grounds are covered with an assortment of interesting but clearly trashed old technology. For now I will stick with my grid tie systems although with the exception of adjusting tilt angles they are just another appliance that doesn't need tinkering.
        Last edited by peakbagger; 10-02-2017, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by peakbagger
          The folks I have run into who are the happiest with off grid living are the tinkerers that have a way of earning income to fund their hobby. One of my friends professors at tech school bought an old hydro plant and put it back in operation. He owned the old dam keepers house. The power lines were right across the street but this was before PURPA so the utility made it financially unattractive to hook up the grid, even when it was, he just didn't want the hassle. He had all sorts of excess power most of the time and did all sorts of odd things to use it up. Of course he was always tinkering with it and every 15 or 20 years would get flooded out and have to start from scratch. He had a couple of sons who he trained to take over when he wasnt in the picture. I have run into similar folks and it came down to they did it as a hobby and economics didnt factor in except that they grudgingly would admit they spent far more money on the hobby than they ever would get back in power savings. Usually the same sort of folks who fix up old steam engines or one lungers and bring them to shows on weekends.

The folks who are the least happy are the ones who bought into the glossy sales pitches that off grid is simple and reliable and bought remote land for what they thought was a good deal as they were going off grid. Many got their start looking at idiotic videos on the web or believing claims made by folks selling dreams. Some people who went off grid make the transition to starved power lifestyle but many end up selling the gear on craigslist and selling the property frequently after a couple of years of hardships and occasionally after a divorce.

I am not immune to the lure as I am an engineer. I have keeping my eye out for years on a property near me where someone had spent a bundle on putting in the infrastructure of a small hydro. By the looks of the property, the owner is or was a tinkerer and its not just a hydro system that is abandoned. The grounds are covered with an assortment of interesting but clearly trashed old technology. For now I will stick with my grid tie systems although with the exception of adjusting tilt angles they are just another appliance that doesn't need tinkering.
          And that, ladies & gents, pretty well sums it up. IMO, ought to be a stickie for off grid.

I'd only add the mantra about knowledge being power and how many folks who lack the knowledge are often described by Peakbagger's 2d paragraph.

Ya' see what you want to see and hear what ya' want to hear. When it comes to off grid living, I bet those who were the most informed about what they were considering are the happiest and vice versa.

Comment

• cebury
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by J.P.M.

And that, ladies & gents, pretty well sums it up. IMO, ought to be a stickie for off grid.

I'd only add the mantra about knowledge being power and how many folks who lack the knowledge are often described by Peakbagger's 2d paragraph.

Ya' see what you want to see and hear what ya' want to hear. When it comes to off grid living, I bet those who were the most informed about what they were considering are the happiest and vice versa.
            And you are correct, however sticky or not it wont matter as they will still see and believe what they want to. Some people are naturally cautious in life and seek education before action, many in between taking risks by trusting others (the peddlar pitch, referrals, etx), some were big risk takers but were bit and learned from mistakes. The rest will take the plunge, never looking over the edge first, always excited for the ride, even when others around them have to pick up their broken pieces. I have people in my family like this and see the aftermath of never ending credit card spending from their joy rides.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by cebury

And you are correct, however sticky or not it wont matter as they will still see and believe what they want to. Some people are naturally cautious in life and seek education before action, many in between taking risks by trusting others (the peddlar pitch, referrals, etx), some were big risk takers but were bit and learned from mistakes. The rest will take the plunge, never looking over the edge first, always excited for the ride, even when others around them have to pick up their broken pieces. I have people in my family like this and see the aftermath of never ending credit card spending from their joy rides.
              I try to remember that fortune favors the bold, but slaughters the unprepared and foolish.

Comment

• soylent_green
                • Aug 2015

actually this was a pretty good movie - made time to watch it during work this morning
                Way better than the current off-grid reality type stuff you see on TV.

Comment

Working...