X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Wilbour
    I am using one battery pack and one 285w panel. So far so good. I'm using the same values except the float voltage 24.26v Can't remember why that is my float value.
    NMC cells are not compatible with gizmos like Inverters made for Pb batteries. Only LifeP04 are compatible. The trouble you will run into depends on how many cells you wired in series being 6S or 7S

At 6S you would charge to 25.2 volts. However nominal if 21.9 volts or just over 2 volts to low. Additionally you Inverter will trip off-line from under voltage at 22 volts. Which means a cell voltage of 3.6 volts, and means you cannot access 50% of your capacity that lays between 18 and 22 volts.

At 7S if you charge to 24.26 volts means you are only reaching 50% SOC. A 7S pack requires to be charged to 29.4 volts.

With LFP aka LiFeP04 is a perfect match drop in replacement for Pb in 6-volt increments with its nominal voltage of 3.2 volts. You charge 8S to 28.4 volts and disconnect at 22 volts which means you can access 100% of the power.
    Last edited by Sunking; 05-26-2018, 12:39 AM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Wilbour
      • May 2018

Originally posted by Sunking
      NMC cells are not compatible with gizmos like Inverters made for Pb batteries. Only LifeP04 are compatible. The trouble you will run into depends on how many cells you wired in series being 6S or 7S

At 6S you would charge to 25.2 volts. However nominal if 21.9 volts or just over 2 volts to low. Additionally you Inverter will trip off-line from under voltage at 22 volts. Which means a cell voltage of 3.6 volts, and means you cannot access 50% of your capacity that lays between 18 and 22 volts.

At 7S if you charge to 24.26 volts means you are only reaching 50% SOC. A 7S pack requires to be charged to 29.4 volts.

With LFP aka LiFeP04 is a perfect match drop in replacement for Pb in 6-volt increments with its nominal voltage of 3.2 volts. You charge 8S to 28.4 volts and disconnect at 22 volts which means you can access 100% of the power.
      Thanks for responding Sunking.

I don't understand most of what you wrote. 6S or 7S? Were we not talking about Charge Controllers charging to a specific V? I don't understand what my inverter has to do with charging.

I also don't think that Chevy Volt Batteries are LifeP04.

Looks like I have a whole lot more to learn......

Comment

• Wilbour
        • May 2018

If by 6S you were asking of the Chevy Volt Battery is a 6 cell in series, then as already posted by whitepine, Yes

Comment

Working...