X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Solar Shed Set Up

Hi all

Quiet new to a solar set up

Just wanted to ask a few questions I hope some one can answer them for me.

Should I be setting them up as series or parallel ? for a deep cycle 100 amp hour battery

I have two panels up and running now these are below, would this give me 160 watt at 10.46 amps ?

Powertech Monocrystalline Solar Panel - 80W
    CAT.NO: ZM9097

ZM-9097 Specifications:

why did only half my post show ?

Comment

Short answer, parallel with a PWM controller, series with a MPPT controller.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Any reason why, I'm using a 12V/24V 30A MPPT Solar Charge Controller

1. Suitable for 12V or 24V battery systems only.
        2. Suitable for 12V or 24V nominal PV array systems only.
        3. This unit WILL charge a 12V battery from 24V solar panels, but not vice versa.
        Specifications
        Max PV array power 360W(12V) or 720W(24V)
        Battery system voltage 12VDC or 24VDC
        Max PV open circuit voltage 65V
        Max input current 30A
        Rated load current 30A
        Ambient temp range -20

Comment

You are assuming it will charge 12 with 24 volt. It will work for 12 or 24 volt battery charging. If you try to charge a 12 volt battery with a 24 volt array you will only get about 1/3 the potential power of the 24 volt panel because you only get the amperage from that panel at the voltage the battery is allowing . If not MPPT wire in parallel.

Comment

Reason why I ask is, I have another 12 volt panel at 145 watt I want to get the max out put to keep my battery top up to run my two pumps one for Aquponics IBC tub and the other for a 4m by 2.5m pond, so if i hook up all three panels in parallel I would have to get a PWM controller, they seem so cheap on ebay, can you recommend one ? would I need an extra battery for setting it up as parallel, sorry I'm quiet new to all this and its all above my head as this stage, I am trying..

Comment

On paper your 10.46 output,100 ah battery looks like a good balance, 10% rate of charge. Real world numbers may not ever get you to that 10+ amp charge rate but for intermittent use or light loads it will still work fine. If you are to add the third panel you need to verify the voltage is within about 5% of the other panels. You can get by with 2 batteries in parallel. They need to be connected to charging and loads at diagonal points of the bank, in other words connect your controller and inverter/load +positive to one battery and the controller inverter/load to the -negative of the other battery
              As to charge controllers , I'm guessing the specs you gave are from a controller you haven't bought yet. I will say I have had good luck with some of the cheap "imported" controllers. I cant recommend one though. If I had to recommend a controller I would have to recommend one of the offerings from Morningstar or Midnite Solar. With them you will get a well engineered product with good post purchase support, if needed.

Comment

Working...
              X