Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourcing inline fuse holders

Hey All,
    I've been trying to locally hunt down a source for inline fuse holders and I'm coming up short. I've tried all the big box stores and even a couple of electrical supply places and nobody has them. However all these places carry the replacement fuses but not the holders themselves.

I'll be using them on my control board to fuse various components like the charge controller, inverter, battery bank and a solar array...

Where can I source these? I suspect it'll be online.

Once I do find source which form factor should I choose? I see there are 3 -4 different types of cartridge types/sizes. I still need to study up on what size fuses to use. My charge controller can take 40A in and 20A out. Should I just match those ratings?

Thanks!
    Rich
    12V 12W panel, SolarEpic Tracer4215BN, 12V 18Ah

Try Grainger or McMaster-Carr. Both are available on-line and have some brick and mortar stores.

Greg

Comment

DigiKey.

Comment

Check out DEL CITY (Milwaukee) which supplies me a lot of low power vehicle wiring stuff. Bruce Roe

Comment

i found these on Amazon
          https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A130UJC6EIIOR0

I think they'll do the job.
          Last edited by Richiep; 09-22-2017, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Richiep View Post
            i found these on Amazon
            https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A130UJC6EIIOR0

I think they'll do the job.
            Those will work. If you check out that amazon site you will see a 10 pack from EPAuto. Those fuse holders work if you don't need to exceed 30amps. I use a few of them in my 12volt system.

Comment

Just watch out with some of the inline fuse holders. They sometimes don't grip the fuse well and the connection heats up and melts the holder.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                Just watch out with some of the inline fuse holders. They sometimes don't grip the fuse well and the connection heats up and melts the holder.
                I agree with your warning. I did have to chuck one of those that I purchased but the rest were a nice tight fit and weather proof.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

I agree with your warning. I did have to chuck one of those that I purchased but the rest were a nice tight fit and weather proof.
                  Also keep in mind that automotive fuse holders (like automotive fuses) may not be good for much more than about 20 volts.
                  It does your system no good for a fuse to open under overcurrent only to have a sustained arc through the fuse and fuseholder keeping the current going while setting the fuseholder on fire.
                  SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Solar fuse folder.jpg For your solar panel array, anyway, these MC-4 inline fuse holders would work. Again up to 30 amp fuses available. There are a variety of them on eBay.
                    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
                      Also keep in mind that automotive fuse holders (like automotive fuses) may not be good for much more than about 20 volts.
                      Hmm, my charge controller can take in as much as 150V @ 40A I don't see voltage ratings on the fuses I found at Amazon
                      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post

It does your system no good for a fuse to open under overcurrent only to have a sustained arc through the fuse and fuseholder keeping the current going while setting the fuseholder on fire.
                        You are correct. Those fuse holders are designed for automotive which limits the amount of voltage they will see at 30amps.

Both the voltage and current rating of a device and wire insulation is a critical part of building a system.

Comment

Midnite solar has inexpensive DC rated circuit breakers. They give you the convenience of being able to switch off power for maintenance, troubleshooting, etc.
                          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

I found these from Renogy and the spec sheet shows they can handle up to 72V.
                            https://www.renogy.com/renogy-20a-30...#tab_prd-specs

These will work for connections to the battery bank and inverter but not the PV array which will be capable of producing

Little Harbor pointed out the inline fuses for the panels themselves. Should I plan to fuse each panel? I suspect the fuses should be as close to the panels as possible?

I'm currently shopping for panels, do they make fused panels?

Other considerations?

Thanks!
                            Rich

Comment

Working...
                            X