No announcement yet.

Help needed for hunting cabin setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appreciate everyone's ideas , thank you all for your help . Since cost is definitely an issue and so is noise and smell I like the solar panel with charge controller idea ! I think I'll order it .

Comment

What about a couple automotive "jump start" packs ? EZ to carry, some even have LED light, some have USB & cig lighter sockets . Charge them at the house, carry to shack.

I expect you would have poor luck with plain starter batteries, you need deep cycle batteries. Maybe a pair of 6v golf cart batteries wired in series, would give you 12V.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by NEOH View Post

What if they don't?
        They said, they use a battery to energize LED Strip Lights for lighting [at night]. (See message #1)
        In message #9 - I spec'd out a Solar Panel, Charge Controller and Battery for $214. ( starter kit )

A small Honda EU 1000 costs $800 + gasoline every day at the cabin ( and oil, and spark plugs, and air filter and tuneups and noise )
        They hunt - animals can hear and smell a generator, animals cannot hear or smell a solar panel.
        My suggestion to have a generator instead of investing in solar panels is based on economics. If the OP doesn't want any noise and doesn't care what it costs then they can go with solar. They can also turn off the generator when they are hunting but use it at night when they need power for lights and incidentals.

I have built two "portable" solar / battery systems which cost me over $3500. One can provide about 150 watt hours a day and the other about 600 watt hours a day. If I really wanted more power for longer duration's I should have spent the money on a 2000 watt inverter type generator and build a muffler box to keep the sound down. I would have been ahead of the game by about $2000 and still have enough to keep the generator fueled and in working condition.

A portable generator is not really that heavy or expensive compared to installing solar panels and a battery system. But each to their own to decide how to spend their money to provide temporary power.

Comment

I just added a dishwasher to my camp wife loves it. In addition to fridge, hot water and everything else on PV for less than half of what is quoted here. Just because it is in the middle of nowhere, It doesn't have to be primitive.

Comment

Working...
          X