Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Silver
    • Aug 2014

Any Value in all these panels?

An open ended question for all, but I think this is legitimate, since I am likely to get opinions that never crossed my mind. I receive emails from a lot of the solar suppliers, one of those being Sun Electric. His latest one, was about 40 some containers of 2-4 year old 300+ watt panels (for around .28 cents/watt). I often wonder about the value of these deals, and think about what could be done with them to either help those people in poor countries with no electrical grid, or sell them for profit, or ??

A couple examples:
    #1) Purchase panels, add 50% mark-up, make a little money. I tend to think it would still be hard to make money, with all the shipping, handling, import fees and taxes (depending on where they are going), etc.
    #2) For those people with a grid and some acreage, is it feasible to make a small solar farm, say 100kw, and sell the electric back to the utility?
    #3) For those that are in the 3rd world, I am thinking Central America since I travel there, but anywhere may work. Could you make a mini-solar farm close enough to a community to have power during the day, but not near a grid or battery back up? I think the related equipment, wiring, and installation would make this not possible, but I am just trying to learn a few things and have very little solar experience and NO large system experience.

Thanks
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

PV is useful in 2 ways:
    With a Grid to backfeed and work at night. More than 10Kw, and most areas require Power Plant permits to tie to grid.
    With a big pile of batterie$ to stabilize the voltage so an inverter can work.

There needs to be Grid or Batteries. No practical way for it to work otherwise,
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• AzRoute66
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2017

I would buy and use quality panels at that price if the shipping, etc. didn't crash the deal. Four unused years is nothing to a panel.

Comment

• littleharbor
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

Was just on the Sen Elec site. They have modules as low as 11 cents a watt, Is there no bottom to this pit?
        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• AzRoute66
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by littleharbor
          Was just on the Sen Elec site. They have modules as low as 11 cents a watt, Is there no bottom to this pit?
          Wanted to check that out but googling 'Sen Elec' didn't offer much. Could you give some additional info on that site?

Comment

• solarix
            Super Moderator
            • Apr 2015

I've purchased from SunElec.com twice. First time I got these weird non-framed 12 / 24V panels that were nil cost but still not worth it. 2nd time was regular panels that I saved shipping on cause I picked them up at their Phoenix warehouse. They are basically bottom feeders, liquidating failed solar manufacturers and selling primarily to Latin America customers that don't care about UL listing etc. Their prices are the lowest, but be prepared to put up with goofy business practices.
            BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• littleharbor
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by AzRoute66

Wanted to check that out but googling 'Sen Elec' didn't offer much. Could you give some additional info on that site?
              Here's the page with the panels listed,

2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Working...