Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saggys
    • Jul 2011

Outback MX 60 or Midnite classic 200sl?

Which controller would you use with the following equipment and why? I have access to both.
    Inverter: Outback Fx2524 with mate controller
    Batteries: 4 -L16's
    Panels: 12 Seimens Sp75's voc 21.7,vmp 17, isc 4.8 imp 4.4 all mounted on a single axis tracker.
    I know the Midnite has built in gfci, but will the Outbacks work together better?
    Will I still need a battery meter to know battery amp hour reading or will the charge controller estimate that?
  • Raj
    • Nov 2014

Hi Saggys,
    I do believe the Midnite classic is the better controller, however why the 200sl? If the extended VOC is needed then the MX60 could not be considered. Anyway, if you have internet access, Outbacks OpticsRE Management and monitoring application would be worth considering. I use it and it work well. If no access, the Outback equipment would have to be managed using the Mate3 (not fun) and poor graphics. In that case the Classic has a local app to manage and monitor the controller via PC on a local network. I have an Outback inverter and a Classic 150 and I prefer it to the Outback controllers. By the way, If I did go with an Outback controller, I'd get a FX model, not the MX.
    Also if I recall correctly, the Midnte SL models do not have GFCI built in.
    Just my opinion,

Rick
    Last edited by Raj; 08-10-2017, 09:23 PM.
    3.6 kw PV, Classic 150, Radian GS4048A, LFP 195A

Comment

• Saggys
      • Jul 2011

Thanks Raj,

I am leaning towards the Classic also, but was wondering if system integration would be easier with Outback gear. Could also go 6 panels in series and two parallel strings instead of 3 in series and four in parallel. The cabling run from combiner to controller will be about 60 ft.

The classic sl only has gfci and no afci built in. The Outback controller is the older MX model. I am hoping to get some unbiased replies from users of each.

Comment

• Raj
        • Nov 2014

I believe either the 3 by 4 or 4 by 3 configuration would be fine. Thanks for clearing up the GFCI fact. Apparently, I didn't recall correctly.
        The Classic is by far superior to the MX and although they don't communicate, I have no problem using it with the Outback equipment in my system.

Rick
        3.6 kw PV, Classic 150, Radian GS4048A, LFP 195A

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

I don't have the outback
          The classic has active cooling, with 3 fans. If it will be in/on the residence wall, you will hear it.
          With any controller, after 3x the battery voltage, conversion losses inside the MPPT start building and you get more heat (more fan) so consider if you need the 6 series, and where that puts your PV voltage over battery voltage. I used the classic 200 to save wire fill in existing conduit and needed the higher voltage and accepted the conversion loss as my classic is in an outbuilding and I don't hear the fans at home.
          The classic has internal logging and web server, so hook it to a router and you can see what it's done via the :Local App, which can also configure, store and restore settings.
          firmware updated on classic are somewhat sketchy though,
          Midnight forum http://midniteftp.com/forum
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Saggys
            • Jul 2011

Mike,
            The controller will be in the cabin so thanks for the heads up on the fan noise. The sizing string calculator does not let you know of the conversion loss which would cause the electronics to run hotter causing the fans to run more. I will not be doing any remote monitoring at this time so that option is not important. How nice is it to be able to control everything from the mate?
            How about battery monitoring? Our current system has a TM 500 and I really like knowing what I have removed has been put back in. We have a trimetric not being used at this time is that our best bet? Gfp can be done with a breaker if I decide to keep everything Outback.
            Thanks guys for the replies.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

GFCI and AFCI is not a selling point. not something you really want if you do not have to have it. I am a fan of Midnite Solar, but th emodel number you have chosen makes no sense unless you intend to configure your panels 6S2P.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• Saggys
                • Jul 2011

Sunking,

I purchased the controllers and inverter very cheap so I am going to try to upgrade our obsolete equipment, which has been working surprisingly good. Just trying to get the most out of the equipment with the panels we have. Compatibility and ease of operation is important to us, so if the fans are going to run more often using the classic 6s2p we might be better off running the mx60 3s4p. I need to become more familiar with the new to me gear as we are using nearly 20 year old Trace gear.

Comment

• B-17
                  • Aug 2016

Use the Classic 150SL with 3s4p

Comment

• Saggys
                    • Jul 2011

I decided to go with the outback mx60. It will communicate with the mate and we will only need one bts. We can always change to the classic if needed. Thanks for your input.

Comment

• littleharbor
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2016

Something to think about with the Classic 150, it has a max output of 96 amps. If, when the time comes to expand your system that's a big bonus over the MX-60.
                      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Working...