Inverter Mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter Mounting

Well was looking through the inverter manual and it makes a statement. Mount the inverter such that the fan axis is horizontal. I have a Cotek SP-2000-124. So do they want the inverter mounted vertically? Seems like a stupid question but am curious....

Originally posted by Svencool View Post
    Well was looking through the inverter manual and it makes a statement. Mount the inverter such that the fan axis is horizontal. I have a Cotek SP-2000-124. So do they want the inverter mounted vertically? Seems like a stupid question but am curious....
    what's wrong with mounting it vertically? I'd just do what manual says if it doesn't present a challenge. This often has something to do with cooling fins orientation.

Comment

Originally posted by max2k View Post

what's wrong with mounting it vertically? I'd just do what manual says if it doesn't present a challenge. This often has something to do with cooling fins orientation.
      If the fan has any balls at all, it's air movement capabilities will easily swamp natural convection flowrates and their effects by an order of magnitude or more. Natural convection may be part of the design at low operating capacities and that's what may be affecting placement orientation requirements, but I'd not be surprised if vertical orientation was simply assumed as the normal state of affairs and so that's how the unit was designed.

Comment

Yes I can mount it in any direction. I just have the whole unit in a Horz position and there are no cooling fins on the outside but have never seen the inside and do know that heat rises . I don't think I've ever seen a video or pictures of an inverter mounted vertically. So after reading it, it made me curious that's why I asked a question. Thanks for everyones input....

Comment

Originally posted by Svencool View Post
          Yes I can mount it in any direction. I just have the whole unit in a Horz position and there are no cooling fins on the outside but have never seen the inside and do know that heat rises . I don't think I've ever seen a video or pictures of an inverter mounted vertically. So after reading it, it made me curious that's why I asked a question. Thanks for everyones input....
          For clarity: Heat does not "rise". Heat flows from where it is hotter to where it is colder. Air warmer than surrounding air will move in a gravity field in a direction opposite that of the applied force of gravity. On the earth, that usually means "up". If a device requires auxiliary cooling and that cooling, either some of the time or all of the time, relies on natural convection (gravity), device orientation is likely important, maybe very important ;as in for example if the fan fails for some reason, or if the power fails entirely and heat dissipation is needed during the outage for personnel or device protection, or other reasons.

If the device is air cooed via forced convection (i.e., a fan), orientation MAY be less important, but still required for safety or other reasons as mentioned above. I'd check with the manufacturer if not sure and perhaps be a bit safer for the checking.

Comment

I looked at the picture of the inverter and it seems you can mount it 2 ways: with its bottom horizontally or vertically. In latter case its long side would be parallel to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by max2k View Post
              I looked at the picture of the inverter and it seems you can mount it 2 ways: with its bottom horizontally or vertically. In latter case its long side would be parallel to the ground.
              Thus, keeping the axis of the fan horizontal, If wall mounted with the long side vertical the fan's axis would indeed be vertical as well, provided the fan is in the end of the inverter. Is there any drawings showing the orientation of the fan or are we supposed to assume the fan's axis is, in fact running lengthwise .
              2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Here is the drawings of the inverter. 2 fans in the back which suck in air and force it out the front. If its laying horz then the fans would be in a vertical position.
                Attached Files

Comment

The fans axis (the shaft) would be in a horizontal position though.
                  2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

So the manual says to mount the inverter such that the fan axis is horizontal. So laying it flat or on it's side is recommended. Thanks for your insight little harbor!!!

Comment

They most likely want it mounted that way because of the bearings in the fan. Most likely sleeve bearings.

Comment

That's what I was thinking that's why I posed the question as I didn't want to put it in a position where it will out even faster lol.....

Comment

Just bought that same inverter recently and mounted it flat, thus the fan axis is horizontal. Were I to mount it on a wall I think that it means make the length of the unit horizontal then as well. For what it's worth, I like the inverter a lot.
                          ​​​​​​
                          Last edited by KMac; 07-27-2017, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Yep very happy with the inverter it has expanded my daily usage as well....

Comment

Working...
                            X