Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sjones0812
    • Jun 2017

Off grid Shed setup

I posted this in another area before finding the "Off Grid" section..... any addition help would be great.

I'm about 1 week into my solar project to setup my shed off-grid. The idea is to have lights, power an access point and maybe a wireless security cam.
    Shed is too far away to pull power from house, never mind messing up the sprinkler lines.

Equipment:
    1- 100 Watt 12V Mono Panel
    Tracer1210A MPPT 10A Controller
    2- Powersafe SBS30 26 ah batteries (wired in parallel)... Got these free from a coworker.
    Tycon TP-DCDC-1248 POE adapter.
    Unifi Outdoor+ wifi access point - connected with wireless uplink to my house...powered by the POE adapter
    Raspberry Pi for my dashboard. Powered by a 12v to 5v adapter. Here is a link if you want to see the live data http://sjones0812.ddns.net/epsolar/

I seem to be using around .5a and around 8 watts on my load, this will be 24/7. Once I add the cam it looks like I will be around 1a and 12-15 watts on the load.

It seems like I am making power but not enough and top the batteries off.

My questions are.

1. I think I am going to add another 100 watt panel. If I do, I can wire them in series and be okay with the 10 a controller, if I wire in parallel I will need to upgrade the MPPT. What is better?
    2. Is the batteries I have OK

**** Looks like I will be doing 2 things to help my setup******
    1. Add a 100 Watt panel. If I add in series I can use my current MPPT, if Parallel I will need to get a 20a or 30a MPPT. Not sure what wiring would work better.
    2. Looks like I need to upgrade the batteries, I think going the 2-6v 215 ah golf cart type would be a good option.
  • littleharbor
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

The Tracer MPPT controllers are fairly inexpensive REAL MPPT controllers. You can get a 20 or 30 amp version and a 250 watt 60 cell panel for probably less than if you got the same controller with a 100 watt 12 volt panel. The benefit here would you will still have the 10 amp controller and 12 volt panel you could use elsewhere or sell.

6 volt golf cart panels are also a pretty good value.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• NEOH
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2010

You should not create duplicate threads.

Comment

• sjones0812
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by NEOH
        You should not create duplicate threads.
        Sorry, new here. thought this would be the better place for my question since I am setting up an off grid system.

Thanks

Comment

Working...