Is welding cable suitable for battery systems?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

I cannot tell you how every stadium is set up exactly, only ATT Cowboy because I was part of the design team and over saw the installation. I do see some of the same things on TV and other stadiums I have been in, and if you know what you are looking for can spot the antennas. At ATT stadium the antennas are located just above the highest seats encircling the stadium. So if you get nose bleed seats an the back row, just above your head. They are down tilted. Being 1900 and 2100 Mhz are very directional, Think of a flashlight with a fairly narrow beam pointing down and just lighting a section. Now here is what might not sound logical, but how cell towers work. TX Power i smax with no traffic. As traffic picks up. power goes down to shrink the footprint to minimize interference. Almost forgot the antennas look like a Wedge about 8 x 4 x 4 inches fiberglass enclosure

At American Airline Center in Dallas the antenna are directly overhead and hard to spot. They are FLAT BLACK Wedges and the whole ceiling is Flat Black. If you look close will be a little green light, or Red is down OOS.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by sdold
      I don't know what kind of numbers adding up the power of the phones would give you. It would be interesting to try to figure it out.
      Pointless to worry about. Max exposure is your own head. Max power on any cell phone is 1/4 watt on a crappy antenna, and power is controlled by the Tower. The Tower runs your cell phone at minimum power to control interference.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• sdold
        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
        Ture but a 6-ft dish is 2 degree beam width and 20 to 30 Db gain. 1 watt 30 db is 1000 watts ERP.
        It's even better, 38 dB for a 6' or 43 for our ten foot dishes. My point was just that there's no danger standing in front of the dish, but there is if you poke your finger or eyeball into the feedhorn, you'll feel the one watt.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

It's even better, 38 dB for a 6' or 43 for our ten foot dishes.
          EIRP of roughly 6300 to 20,000 watts.

My point was just that there's no danger standing in front of the dish, but there is if you poke your finger or eyeball into the feedhorn, you'll feel the one watt.
          Yeah I got your point, and was redirecting you to think about exposure over an area. Standing directly in front of a MW dish or even 100 feet away with 1-watt input with a gain of 40 db is much higher than a 60 watt with 12 db gain antenna with 120 degree beam width.

Tower climbers are only concerned with commercial broadcast towers. You have to shut down the transmitters as those can run as high as 50 Kw plus gain from the antenna. The really scary ones are commercial AM broadcast. Just touching the tower can kill you because the tower is the antenna and depending on TX power and how it is fed is several thousand volts AC RF Voltage to ground.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• sdold
            • Jun 2014

EIRP of roughly 6300 to 20,000 watts.

Yeah I got your point, and was redirecting you to think about exposure over an area. Standing directly in front of a MW dish or even 100 feet away with 1-watt input with a gain of 40 db is much higher than a 60 watt with 12 db gain antenna with 120 degree beam width.
            Despite the extremely high ERP, the amount of exposure you get standing in front of a dish is pretty small. For the one-watt transmitter at 6 GHz and an 8-foot dish, it's less than what is allowed in front of a microwave oven with the door closed. I think it's around 0.05 mW/cm^2.
            Last edited by sdold; 06-04-2017, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Despite the extremely high ERP, the amount of exposure you get standing in front of a dish is pretty small. For the one-watt transmitter at 6 GHz and an 8-foot dish, it's less than what is allowed in front of a microwave oven with the door closed. I think it's around 0.05 mW/cm^2.
              Yes Steve and was kind of my point when the conversation turned to some 3000 watt of RF in a stadium causing exposure problems. Standing in front of a MWR Dish would be higher levels than the Cell Radios. The highest exposure a person receives is directly from the phone smashed up against the ear.

Interesting enough is the military has weaponized RF for crowd control. Perhaps you have seen i ton TV as I have seen a few shows where volunteers have the weapon tested on them. Looks like a rather large disk 6 feet in diameter they can beam high power RF at a crowd and able to adjust the bean width to pick out individuals. The individuals tested said it feels like they opened a door to a hot furnace, and retreated real darn fast. Initially I thought it a 2 meter wavelength and later learned my guess was correct as it sweeps 150 to 200 Mhz @ 10 Kw. That frequency range just happens to be the same wavelength as a man.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• sdold
                • Jun 2014

Interesting, I need to go take a look at that and figure out how they can get that kind of narrow beamwidth with such a small diameter. Pretty soon the protesters will start buying RF monitors. The ones we use are made by Narda and are called "Nardalert". That name is pretty funny when you think about it.

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Interesting, I need to go take a look at that and figure out how they can get that kind of narrow beamwidth with such a small diameter. Pretty soon the protesters will start buying RF monitors. The ones we use are made by Narda and are called "Nardalert". That name is pretty funny when you think about it.
                  Yes I have a NARDI. Anyone that works with VZW, ATT, and and really any other Cell provider must have them. As you know they are high dollar, and unless a boss or inspector is around never comes out of the box. Hell mine is still in the factory sealed box. I have not even put the battery in. My guys keep it in a box labeled OSHA RED TAPE.

As for the beam. Not sure myself. The disk they use looks like a WW-II search light. At first I thought it might be infrared. What I do know watching video on it, whoever gets hit with it heads for the hills real fast. Works almost as good as Nut Busters used to break up union protesters pre-WW-II depression days.
                  Last edited by Sunking; 06-05-2017, 01:39 PM.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• sdold
                    • Jun 2014

Is this the system you described? It works at 95 GHz.

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

Is this the system you described? It works at 95 GHz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System
                      Yes I think so. Not sure where I came up with 150 Mhz.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• sdold
                        • Jun 2014

I wouldn't stand in front of that one.

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

I wouldn't stand in front of that one.
                          Nor would I. At that frequency you can focus the energy like a laser. You could do some serious damage,and one slow miserable death.

Reminds me a bit of of a high voltage tester we used at a utility to take around to schools for PSA's and it got a lot of attention. We would use weenies to simulate fingers. In college I had a Lamp Cord I used with alligator clips on the end to cook hot dogs in a few seconds. Stick a nail in each end, and light it up for a few seconds. Kind of dangerous if you left the power on too long, the weeny would blow up from stream pressure and spew boiling hot meat everywhere. Kicked myself after graduating, I could have made a million off that. Was not a year later I seen the same concept product on store shelves. I digress.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

. Kind of dangerous if you left the power on too long, the weeny would blow up from stream pressure and spew boiling hot meat everywhere.
                            That wasn't meat. alleged meat maybe. I've been in a packing plant.

Anyway, too late the genius for you. There was a corner store on my block when I was a kid that had the same thing but a bit more commercial with some controls, about 6 spots for multiple/production line electrocutions w/2 prongs per victim. At ~ 6 yrs. old, I was fascinated. Obviously one of the inventions that made America great. Tasted just like the boiled ones. Cooked until they split. Never knew hot dogs could be electrocuted. We all figured it was invented by the same dude that invented the electric chair, and wondered if it'd work on snakes.

Comment

• sdold
                              • Jun 2014

The last I knew, we were talking about a device to use against protesters, and then I saw the following response in my email on my cellphone. Imagine what was going through my mind as I read this:

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                              . Kind of dangerous if you left the power on too long, the weeny would blow up from stream pressure and spew boiling hot meat everywhere.

Comment

• Sunking
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Feb 2010

The last I knew, we were talking about a device to use against protesters, and then I saw the following response in my email on my cellphone. Imagine what was going through my mind as I read this:

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                                Glad I could make your day better.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...