Sun Power Maxeon C60

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun Power Maxeon C60

from what I can understand , SunPower C60 Maxeon solar cell where the one used in plane "Solar Impulse 2"

https://global.sunpower.com/high-eff...ar-technology/
    and here with a picture of the solar impulse 2
    http://eshop.terms.eu/_data/s_3386/f...60_bin_ghi.pdf

1. as far as weight and efficiency, are they stil the best
    2. Does somebody knows if I could get those in some light flexible panel,

I have found kit with the cell by themselves (not soldered together) but so far no luck to find panel with those cell in a 100 watts / 4 pounds package like most flexible panel I found.

thank you

Unfortunately the cost of those SunPower C60 cells are probably many times more than most commercial solar cells and panels. When it comes to research like the Solar Impulse 2 I would expect that money was not a limiting factor. They wanted the plane to make the trip without failing so I am sure they spent a lot of money on the design.

Now as for kits or single cells found on the market. Be careful because most of those are not Grade A cells but rejects from the manufacturers that can't be used in a fully manufactured solar panel. Sure they will work for a while but unless you have the ability to build a panel out of them and keep all moisture from touching the cells most DIY panels will fail much sooner then a complete manufactured panel.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
      Unfortunately the cost of those SunPower C60 cells are probably many times more than most commercial solar cells and panels.Be careful because most of those are not Grade A cells but rejects from the manufacturers that can't be used in a fully manufactured solar panel.
      Thank you.
      I was afraid of the price, and diy kit is not really for me. I won't even look for it
      I found more affordable flexible panel, like this one on Amazon Canada (to save on customs duties fee)
      https://www.amazon.ca/ALLPOWERS-Bend...le+solar+panel
      do you think those panel are ok ?
      (I am building a solar eBike, I will use 4 panel @ 100 watts.)

Comment

I have seen that type of panel used on a camper or RV. They seem to work well considering they are usually mounted flat.

Although I would de-rate that 100watts to something around 67 watts if you are using a PWM CC and even less since it will be mounted flat and not get the full sunshine affect.

The big drawback is the price considering it is over $2/watt but I guess you are paying for the ability to have something produce electricity yet is very lite in weight.

Comment

The big drawback is the price considering it is over $2/watt but I guess you are paying for the ability to have something produce electricity yet is very lite in weight.
          Thank you
          Well, I have to make compromises, I. will try it.

Comment

Originally posted by VeloSolaire View Post
            Thank you
            Well, I have to make compromises, I. will try it.
            Just give yourself a conservative number when calculating the output of the panels you want to mount.

One of the biggest mistakes people make when designing a solar/battery system is overestimating how much power it will generate.

Comment

Just give yourself a conservative number when calculating the output of the panels you want to mount.
              I was hopping to get 50%. Even at 50% I would be very happy. I crossed America on an eBike last september and part of October, with a 780 Wh battery without solar panel. With a bigger battery and solar panel, I could do it in a lot less time

Comment

Working...
              X