Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Riley5781
    • Dec 2015

Generator sizing to handle equalization for FLA bank

Hi guys - I need to make sure I have a large enough generator to perform EQ maintenance cycles on my 48V FLA off-grid system.
    Here's what the system looks like:
    • 12 x 260 watt panels = 3120 watts
    • Schneider XW+6048 inverter/charger (6KW inverter)
    • Surrette S-550 FLA batteries x 8 for 48 volts
    • Schneider Conext MPPT 60 150 charge controller
    Question is: what size of a generator do I need to perform EQ charge on the system?

I am fine to reduce my loads around the cabin to next to nothing when doing so.
    Put another way, can I perform a EQ charge with a 5KW genset? (I
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Pretty simple in S-550 cells you want to charge at C/6 to minimize fuel burn and run the genny at 70 to 80% capacity. C/6 70 amps. So 48 volts x 70 amps / .8 =4.2 Kva. So you are looking at a 5 Kva genny. The Challenge is to find a charger and if you know where to look is super easy. Look on Flea Bay for 48 volt 50to 80 amp rectifiers used in telecom. Lots of salvaged ones for sale. Just be aware they will all be 208/240 volts.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

When you connect the generator to the XW inverter, it becomes a 95% efficient charger for your batteries. You have to program your generator values and battery specs into the inverter with the Combox or SCP. 5Kw may nto be enough, as some generator specs have no basis in reality. I can only run my modern 3Kw genset at 2Kw cont. A battery charger load is quite demanding on a generator, it's a heavy continuous load.
      To actually EQ the batteries, is a 2 consecutive sunny day process
      Day 1 use solar to charge batteries and run all your loads, watching the sun and charge rate, you want a full battery bank at sunset
      Night 1 Super Conservation Mode reduce loads to absolute minimum
      Day 2 About sunrise, start the generator and commence BULK charge mode. In an hour or so, you should be starting ABSORB and the sun kicking in some contribution. Then you save generator fuel and let the SOLAR charge controller continue the ABSORB. As soon as ABSORB finishes, you start the EQ cycle. You have been monitoring your cells and know the weak ones to watch the rising SG. if you run out of daylight you must continue with the generator till the EQ is complete and all cell SG has stopped rising.
      Last edited by Mike90250; 05-04-2017, 01:46 AM.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
        When you connect the generator to the XW inverter, it becomes a 95% efficient charger for your batteries. You have to program your generator values and battery specs into the inverter with the Combox or SCP. 5Kw may nto be enough, as some generator specs have no basis in reality. I can only run my modern 3Kw genset at 2Kw cont. A battery charger load is quite demanding on a generator, it's a heavy continuous load.
        Many battery chargers have a pretty poor power factor, with the charging pulse not starting to flow till pretty high
        on the sine wave, then all at once. That might reduce the generators ability to support it. Lately we have learned
        to build stuff with power factor correction. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...