Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's what I have now, what should be my next move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
    Be careful that you don't get caught in a Lie or post unrealistic events around non documented installations. It is the short path to getting a long vacation.
    SE you know he is a liar. Just Nuke the SOB and be done with it. No one will miss him.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Okay, if you really want to be off-grid, that is your choice and i think many here can support you in that. Now to answer your initial question, the best and ONLY realistic way (2nd best way not even close) to have any reliable refrigeration in any less than super sunny location, especially not wanting to advertise lots of large panels, is to have an efficient DC refrigerator, the best ones only use a couple hundred WH per day, the initial investment will be same or less than the upgrade you are looking at, and you will save every month thereafter forever no matter how you design your system, the main reason for going off-grid that you stated was money, conservation is the ONLY inexpensive option, and there are units out there that will produce the same amount of cold as your current unit while only requiring 1/3 to 1/5th the energy. You can have it all, including small system "footprint", but that is the ONLY way, no other option exists that does not have one or more problems (large footprint, high initial cost, or high ongoing cost). There is your answer, if that is what you were really here for, i hope that helps. It is NOT slightly more expensive to buy 100w panels to run a 1KWH per day AC fridge, (especially in a cloudy place), it is akin to going back to the nightmare you had that caused you to go off-grid in the first place.

Comment

In your diagram, the way the charge controller is wired to the batteries is wrong. Hook it to the same terminals as the inverter.

Comment

Originally posted by LETitROLL View Post
          is to have an efficient DC refrigerator, the best ones only use a couple hundred WH per day, the initial investment will be same or less than the upgrade you are looking at, and you will save every month thereafter forever no matter how you design your system, the main reason for going off-grid that you stated was money, conservation is the ONLY inexpensive option, and there are units out there that will produce the same amount of cold as your current unit while only requiring 1/3 to 1/5th the energy. .
          He has already been told this. Everything he is doing is wrong and does not want to hear it. We tried, he just cannot be helped.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by badley View Post
            dont hate me because my panels put out more than yours lol .. you just keep telling people what doesnt work and your stale line of horse manure .. if you actually contributed a single thing to the discussion that helped the original poster with his problem your insults might have some weight .. but as things stand, its about neck deep in here lol ..
            Badley - when you post a pic of your panel array, in clouds, outperforming any commercial panel (include the volts and amps you are getting) you might gain some traction here. The PV illumination roll off curve is well known, and what you claim, is unbelievable.
            Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Absent PROOF., it's BS.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
              Don't give us that crap. It is not our fault you do not know what you are doing. or can do simple math. At $250/month bill means you were using 2000 Kwh/month or 65 Kwh per day,. that is what a large all electric home would use with all the Bells and Whistles. That is 65 times more than you say you want now. So don't give us that line of BS. No one goes from using 65 Kwh a day to less than 1 Kwh/day. You are a fool if you think any of us believe you reduced your energy 98.5% in a large home.

If you really knew what you were doing you would never ever use 100 wat battery panels, PWM controller, and run 12 volts. Only a damn fool stuck inside a 12 volt box does that. Nope if you knew what you were doing and being truthful you would be using 200 to 250 watt Grid Tied Panels at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of 100 watt battery panels. Further you would be using an MPPT Controller at 24 or 48 volt battery. To make the most of your extremely expensive power you would be using a refrigerator made for 24 or 48 volt DC made for off-grid systems using half the electricity you claim your luxury fridge uses.

I told you exactly what you wanted to know, and told you what you don't want to hear. It is called the t
              Dude.....what is your problem? I don't know what I'm doing, that's exactly why I am asking people like you what to do.
              If you would have read my post before you went on a tirade against me (with inaccurate quotations, no less), you would have read I DISCONNECTED MY METER and am currently running 1kW/day. I NEVER said I didn't go from a washer and dryer to doing my laundry offsite replace my stove, water heater and furnace with propane alternatives done before going off grid.

My current electricity needs are a 10W laptop, another 20W laptop, 4 8W LED bulbs, a router and a modem. None of these are on all the time. Total use as measured by a kill-a-watt meter and the MT50 is 1kW/Day.

I use 100w panels because I bought them before getting on this fourm.

A few things you got completely wrong:
              I'm already using an MPPT controller, I even have the brand listed.
              I can't use a 24V system with my crappy inverter. I will go 24V when I buy an inverter.
              No one has told me to use a 24 or 48VDC fridge, and I haven't found a fridge that is more economical for less than $3500.00, as opposed to my (LUXURY) $350 brand new 1kW/Day fridge, which might take $1000.00 more of my 100W panels or maybe $500.00 of 250/300W panels.

You confuse being blunt, with which I have no problem whatsoever, with being rude, calling names, and getting your facts wrong. You know what I don't want to hear? I don't want to hear "Go back on the grid." I also do not want to hear personal insults. I can do simple math just fine, I have two degrees and sit on two large college advisory boards, not to mention I have my own computer operating system. Why would I try to lie to a solar forum? Seriously, what is your problem? I don't know how calling me a fool helps your cause or mine. I'm definitely not a fool, but you certainly are a hateful, bitter human being.

I want to appeal to the other moderators of this forum: You have a high-level member calling inquisitive, polite people who take your advice legitimately seeking knowledge, they're being called names, misquoted and generally treated rudely by Sunking. Is this how really you want members treated?
              Last edited by Skunkarific; 05-08-2017, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skunkarific View Post

Dude.....what is your problem? I don't know what I'm doing, that's exactly why I am asking people like you what to do.
                If you would have read my post before you went on a tirade against me (with inaccurate quotations, no less), you would have read I DISCONNECTED MY METER and am currently running 1kW/day. I NEVER said I didn't go from a washer and dryer to doing my laundry offsite replace my stove, water heater and furnace with propane alternatives done before going off grid.

My current electricity needs are a 10W laptop, another 20W laptop, 4 8W LED bulbs, a router and a modem. None of these are on all the time. Total use as measured by a kill-a-watt meter and the MT50 is 1kW/Day.

I use 100w panels because I bought them before getting on this fourm.

A few things you got completely wrong:
                I'm already using an MPPT controller, I even have the brand listed.
                I can't use a 24V system with my crappy inverter. I will go 24V when I buy an inverter.
                No one has told me to use a 24 or 48VDC fridge, and I haven't found a fridge that is more economical for less than $3500.00, as opposed to my (LUXURY) $350 brand new 1kW/Day fridge, which might take $1000.00 more of my 100W panels or maybe $500.00 of 250/300W panels.

You confuse being blunt, with which I have no problem whatsoever, with being rude, calling names, and getting your facts wrong. You know what I don't want to hear? I don't want to hear "Go back on the grid." I also do not want to hear personal insults. I can do simple math just fine, I have two degrees and sit on two large college advisory boards, not to mention I have my own computer operating system. Why would I try to lie to a solar forum? Seriously, what is your problem? I don't know how calling me a fool helps your cause or mine. I'm definitely not a fool, but you certainly are a hateful, bitter human being.

I want to appeal to the other moderators of this forum: You have a high-level member calling inquisitive, polite people who take your advice legitimately seeking knowledge, they're being called names, misquoted and generally treated rudely by Sunking. Is this how really you want members treated?
                The simple matter is that you have a solar / battery system that will safely generate less than 700wh a day but you want to live on 1kWh a day. You also want a fridge but in most practical applications a 12volt battery system is not the smart or cheapest way to power it.

So while I am trying to be blunt I am also trying not to be rude, but if you choose to live off grid you will have to spend a lot more money to generate power to run most devices that you want to even if you don't like the idea of spending that money.

Since you started out with 100 watt panels and a 12 volt inverter it is going to cost more to expand your system then if you started out with 200 or 250w panels and a 24volt battery system / inverter. That is a fact and you will have to live with that decision.

So I am not sure how to get the point across to you (to be blunt or rude) but if off grid is what you want then be ready to pay for it as well as getting some rude feedback as to why it is not a financial smart way to live.

Comment

SunEagle, I have no issue whatsoever with what you, or for that matter, anyone else other than SunKing has said. What you, Mike and everyone else has said is to the point, and that's what I'm here for.

I completely understand spending more money per kilowatt/hour than on grid. My issues with being on grid were threefold: I think someone was stealing my power, or the meter was not calibrated, another thing I didn't bring up is I live so far out in the country that my solar system has more uptime than our local power company.

Going to 24V will be easy, all I need is an inverter, Mike suggested one, and as usual, I'll take his suggestion. I'll need a new CC also, I have a midnite solar 80A in my sights.

As far as financially smart, I've gone from a $250/mo electric bill to needing gas heat 4 months out of the year, totalling ~$500, with a total investment (recoupable other than the $400 I have in batteries) of $1600.00. Yes, I had to buy gas appliances to replace electric ones, but I needed new ones anyway.

My next move, I think, will be to add panels to ameliorate the overcast days. I generally push 10 Amps/hr on those days, doubling that number would definitely make my batteries happy, even if the CC tops out at 35.5 Amps. Here's my question about the 250/300w panels... It seems I have to pay for truck shipping and order 10-20 panels at a time. I have looked for solar panel suppliers in Cincinnati (the closest city to me), all I come up with are installers, and not any company that will sell panels to individuals over the counter. Is there a company within 100 miles of here who will sell PVs to individuals over the counter? The 100w panels are nowhere near as cheap, but shipping is included for the $129.00 price, and there's no way to get a semi up to my house even if I did want to buy 20 larger panels.
                  Last edited by Skunkarific; 05-09-2017, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skunkarific
                    My next move, I think, will be to add panels to ameliorate the overcast days. I generally push 10 Amps/hr on those days, doubling that number would definitely make my batteries happy, even if the CC tops out at 35.5 Amps. Here's my question about the 250/300w panels... It seems I have to pay for truck shipping and order 10-20 panels at a time. I have looked for solar panel suppliers in Cincinnati (the closest city to me), all I come up with are installers, and not any company that will sell panels to individuals over the counter. Is there a company within 100 miles of here who will sell PVs to individuals over the counter? The 100w panels are nowhere near as cheap, but shipping is included for the $129.00 price, and there's no way to get a semi up to my house even if I did want to buy 20 larger panels.
                    There are plenty of sources for panels on the internet. But you will need a delivery location where a semi
                    can unload them. If you don't have anything like a fork lift, arrange for a truck with a lift gate.

Adding panels will pretty much increase your cloudy day output, in proportion. If you point them all south,
                    your noontime peak will rise as well. If the extra panels are pointed more toward the rising and setting sun,
                    they will broaden your sun day instead of raising the peak. Orientation doesn't matter so much under cloud
                    dispersed light. Bruce Roe

Comment

.....Going to 24V will be easy, all I need is an inverter, Mike suggested one, and as usual, I'll take his suggestion. I'll need a new CC also, I have a midnite solar 80A in my sights.....
                      I did in this thread ?

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

How do you get those not as sturdy large panels delivered if you just want a few of them?

Comment

Do you feel better now?

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                          X