Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RLHnTX
    • Mar 2017

Trickle charge a 24 volt system with two small 12 volt panels

I am looking to temporarily attach a solar panel of some sort to the batteries in a CAT 941B track loader that I recently purchased for my ranch. Where I'm using the equipment, there isn't an electrical line available to hook up a trickle charger. So solar is my only option.

The 24 volt system is comprised of two 12v batteries connected in series. My thought is to use two small 12v panels by hooking one to each of the 12v batteries.

I'm looking to keep the batteries charged while the equipment is dormant for weeks or a month in between projects. Again, more like a trickle charger than a standard charger.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by RLHnTX; 03-20-2017, 09:32 PM.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Where I what?

All you need is a panel of 20 to 30 watts of panels with a diode. Just make sure the two panel Vmp total at least 32 to 36 volts minimum. If you want a little more control and use larger panels you can add a PWM Charge Controller and scrap the diode. However a CAT Loader 24 volt battery is not going to be over charged with a 20 to 30 watt panels. Just remember it takes 36 volts to charge a 24 volt battery.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• RLHnTX
      • Mar 2017

Thank you for your reply. Is what you've described for charging a drained battery or maintaining a battery between uses?

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

It is exactly what you asked for, a Trickle Charger. Not capable of charging a discharged battery in any meaningful amount of time. Just enough to over come self discharge and to keep the clock powered.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...