Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evaluate - Off grid with no batteries - SMA Sunny Boy 5.0 + 9 Suniva 340 Watt Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crom View Post
    I want to create an off-grid setup designed to function without batteries or an energy storage mechanism. I recognize this system will not function in inclement weather or nighttime. I know that most inverters will end up creating AC that is much too "dirty" (erratic sine wave; although I don't really understand that concept) to power high demand or more sensitive electronics.
    Most modern inverters (TSW) produce pretty high quality power.
    Could this one inverter coupled with nine panels and bit of sunshine give me a zero maintenance standard 110 AC outlet that could power devices as wide in range from my table saw to my computer without issue?
    No. It will not start your saw. The system you describe would likely work for things like laptops; their power requirements are low, they are not very "surgey" and they have their own batteries to hold up the device when AC goes out. It would also work to charge batteries. But it won't start most motors.
    I look forward to your replies and as a side note, if the setup seems effective for its proposed usage, how should I alter the setup for any potential partial shading issues? Are microinverters even usable in this kind of a setup?
    No, not really.
    Finally, does anyone have any experience with the SMA units to know if this kind of setup risks potentially damaging the inverter? (I would be using the Sunny Boy 5.0 so the total Wattage input should be well within range for the whole device - I am a bit concerned about using the SPS function as an always on outlet)
    The SMA inverters are quite good at protecting themselves, so that would be the least of my worries.

If money is no object, then build a standard system (panels/charge controller/inverter) using ultracaps. The ultracaps will function like a (very small) battery and let you start bigger loads. You will still lose power when the sun goes behind a cloud, but it will likely be more reliable overall. And ultracaps last 10 years or so; longer if you don't care about capacity (which you don't.) A 130 farad 56 volt cap from Maxwell will run you about $1200, and such a system will give you 2000 watts for about 30 seconds - more than enough to start most 120 volt tools.

Comment

Working...
    X