Charging Batteries With Generator

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deekster59
    • Feb 2018

Not sure how this is relevant to the questions asked within, but everything you are talking about is. My question now, is I want an off grid system in my home and have researched enormously the variables and am more confused now then when I started. I built a system off grid for a friend many years ago and it worked fine but with the advancing of technology and costs dropping I'm more inclined to go all out here. I want a 24 volt system with a large bank of AGM batteries. I need the room to improve the system later so am looking for a high end 8KW+ inverter. I want to promote 5KW total. Charge controller with hybrid function for solar and wind turbine and I want to hook my 6000 watt 25 amp/120 volt generator to the system. I would certainly appreciate the input.

Thanking you in advance guys

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Originally posted by deekster59
      I want a 24 volt system with a large bank of AGM batteries.
      Why AGM ? They have shorter life, higher cost, and unforgiving of mistakes. At least try a starter system of
      cheap flooded batteries and when you get them to last 3 years, buy the pricey AGM's, maybe in 3 years, LFP
      may be a reasonable option.

I need the room to improve the system later so am looking for a high end 8KW+ inverter.
      This is now a 48V system. Over a 3Kw inverter is 48V territory.

I want to promote 5KW total.
      huh ? you have a 8kw inverter. What does
      promote 5kw
      mean to you? 5kw continuous load ?

Charge controller with hybrid function for solar and wind turbine
      Generally a bad idea, really bad for large system. choose the best of each mfg for each function.
      with 8KW, you need several 60A 48v charge controllers

want to hook my 6000 watt 25 amp/120 volt generator to the system. I would certainly appreciate the input.
      Then you will need to investigate how to get a 240V generator or how to get 240V out of your generator.
      120V is not viable for more than 1200 watts of charger, they are just not made.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• deekster59
        • Feb 2018

Thanks for the input Mike.

Comment

Working...