X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by idiggplants
    thats interesting. i didnt think a step down thing like that would be so cheap. is it efficient? i guess if we go 400w, we would also go with a second battery anyways, so we could put them in series.

what if we put our limit at 3x 100w panels? the 20a could handle that... but could we run 3 in series? cause otherwise they would have to be in parallel if im not mistaken?
    The maximum DC input voltage is usually listed on the spec sheet for the CC. Usually the smaller PWM's do not have a very high DC volt input rating requiring you to wire the panels in parallel.

Comment

• cabindave
      • Dec 2015

It's definitely efficient enough to operate when you are actually using equipment. We have a shut off switch to shut it down when not at our cabin. That way it is not slowly draining the battery while running nothing at all. It is not perfectly efficient, but the way I look at it is that we gained by charging at 24v we lose some of that in the conversion process. Also you pretty much have to go higher than a 12v battery bank at a certain system size. Specs on the unit say it is 85% efficient, and has a 0.2 (2/10ths) of an amp for a no-load current draw. The no-load draw is why we installed a properly rated shut off switch between the battery bank and the 24v to 12v converter.

As to the other question, the small charge controller would only handle your 300 watts at 24v. And yes you could run three 100 watt panels in series, I believe the max voltage to the charge controller will handle up to four 100 watt panels in series. (check the max input voltage in the manual to be sure).

If I were in your situation, I would probably get the 40amp charge controller, and an extra panel if you want, and wire them in series. Then just keep everything 12v until you want to replace the current 12v battery. At that point you could go to 24v. The larger charge controller would give you the flexibility to do whatever you find works best. Starting with that would give you time to learn your needs, and avoid purchasing another battery until you actually need it.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

MPPT Size

Amps = Panel Wattage / Battery Voltage.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• idiggplants
          • Mar 2011

ok thanks guys. i think im leaning towards the 40a version. that will allow us the most flexibility. i dont think a step down converter will work for us. too much loss.

hopefully i can get a couple more people chiming in on experience with the renogy aka epsolar mppt controllers.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by idiggplants
            ok thanks guys. i think im leaning towards the 40a version. that will allow us the most flexibility. i dont think a step down converter will work for us. too much loss.

hopefully i can get a couple more people chiming in on experience with the renogy aka epsolar mppt controllers.
            Wait for what? A Renogy/Episolr 40 amp controller maximum input is:

520 watts with 12 volt battery
            1040 watts with 24 volt battery.

Do the math

520 watts / 13 volts = 40 amps
            1040 watts / 26 volts = 40 amps

Rad the manual page 10

MSEE, PE

Comment

• extrafu
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Sunking

Rad the manual page 10
              We are all reading files from your HDD Sorry buddy, couldn't resist!

Comment

• idiggplants
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Sunking

520 watts with 12 volt battery
                1040 watts with 24 volt battery.

Do the math

520 watts / 13 volts = 40 amps
                1040 watts / 26 volts = 40 amps

Rad the manual page 10
                not looking for specifications at this point. looking for folks with good or bad experiences with, or opinions on, the controller.

Comment

• Brian53713
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Oct 2016

Renogy 100w get free delivery, 1.30 perwatt. Bigger panels no free delivery. Also easier to deal with. Sturdier. Victron Blue solar mppt, excellent European company. 5 year warranty. Website will build confidence.

Comment

• LETitROLL
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • May 2014

+1, Love my victron, just got the cable recently for the full adjustability now, very nice. I have had some renogy products in the past, i feel they are okay, kind of the better end of the cheap stuff. Didnt pay too much more for my victron though and no comparison.

Comment

• littleharbor
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2016

I have one of the EP 3215 model, (30 amp 150 Voc), with the optional meter. Voltage setpoints are adjustable with the external meter. It has done its job without any issues.

When you are thinking about adding additional panels remember you can double the input wattage when switching to 24 volt. Be sure to series wire your panels for higher than system voltage if switching to 24 volts and always connect your battery bank first , which allows the controller to sense whether 12 or 24 volt system .
                      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Working...