Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smiddyt
    • Jan 2017

Classic 150 stuck on Resting

This Sunday we had partially sunny skies for the first time in a week. It had been cloudy and rainy all week and my system was working ok. We finally got some sun and my Midnight Classic 150 kept saying Resting. I tried powering it off, turned off different breakers, but it would not get out of resting. I had 105-111 volts in on my panels and the controller reflected that but said I had 0000 watts. My battery voltage kept going down even though the only thing running was the inverter, no loads in the house. On Monday I called Backwoodssolar where I bought all my stuff and they had me try different things like resetting breakers, change settings, and turning everything off for about 10 min. Finally we did a software reset on the classic and everything started working again. The classic now showed 95 volts in (cloudy) but I had watts coming in as well. Anybody have any issues like this?

6 280 watt panels wired in 2 3 panel strings, 8 Crown batteries in series for 48 volts, Magnum 4400W 48V Parallel Inverter
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Smiddyt
    This Sunday we had partially sunny skies for the first time in a week. It had been cloudy and rainy all week and my system was working ok. We finally got some sun and my Midnight Classic 150 kept saying Resting. I tried powering it off, turned off different breakers, but it would not get out of resting. I had 105-111 volts in on my panels and the controller reflected that but said I had 0000 watts. My battery voltage kept going down even though the only thing running was the inverter, no loads in the house. On Monday I called Backwoodssolar where I bought all my stuff and they had me try different things like resetting breakers, change settings, and turning everything off for about 10 min. Finally we did a software reset on the classic and everything started working again. The classic now showed 95 volts in (cloudy) but I had watts coming in as well. Anybody have any issues like this?

6 280 watt panels wired in 2 3 panel strings, 8 Crown batteries in series for 48 volts, Magnum 4400W 48V Parallel Inverter
    While I have not had any experience with a solar inverter "going to sleep", I have had other electronic process equipment (PLC's) stop working. Even though the equipment still had the correct settings it seemed like it lost the ability to run the algorithms. It required a memory wipe and then a reload of the software to get them working again.

I am sure there are other instances where electronics need more then a "kick" to wake up.

Comment

• solarix
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2015

I have had a Classic 150 fail as you describe. Could be the input voltage is too low start but 100V certainly should be enough. Call Midnite and have them check it out. They replaced the one I had....
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• Smiddyt
        • Jan 2017

It happened again yesterday. It was cloudy and rainy but I was getting anywhere from 50 -95 volts in, and the classic would not come out of resting. I did the software reset again and it worked for a few minutes then stopped. I started up the generator and ran it for about 2 hours. During this time the classic would switch between resting and bulk MMPT, but mostly stayed at resting even when I had 95 volts in from the panels. I opened a trouble ticket with Midnite and they sent one email asking what my input voltage was and if my panels were compatible then did not ask anymore questions. It was after 5 central time so I don't know what there hours are. At work I cant access their website.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

There have been MANY firmware updates for the Classic and the control panel. There are also severe issues with the firmware process "Bricking" the controller because the updater program is not robust. Either upgrade with win XP or win 10 Versions in between are sketchy,
          Also, using the midnight Local App to control the classic from your computer, is much easier than using menus on the display. For the Solar, try setting the mode to Legacy P/O instead of the new algorithms, it made my classic work,
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

50 to 95 volt input swing is not right. You should measure from Vmp up to Voc. What you describe is opposite of Vmp to Isc. That is why MS is asking for input voltages. You maybe barking up the wrong tree and the possum maybe in your panels, not controller.

Sounds to me like the Controller is trying to find Vmp, but the panels have an issue, and the Controller detects it and shutting down.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• Smiddyt
              • Jan 2017

Sunking, I don't understand what you mean by Vmp? I measured the output of the panels 104 on one string, and 105 on the other string, and the classic was saying 104.5. Yesterday it was mostly sunny in the afternoon and everything was working fine. I did a SG reading on my batteries and they were all at 1.220 because of the problems from the last couple of days. I ran the generator for about an hour to help restore the charge.

I have my controller set to 59.2 absorb, 59.1 float (cant set them the same), and 62.2 for EQ. The inverter was set to 59.2 absorb, and 54 float and the inverter menu was saying Float Charging. I changed the float on the inverter to 59.1 and the generator really bogged down like it was getting a heavy load. Once the sun went down and I turned off the generator the Classic said my batteries were at 50.4 volts.

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Look at your panel specs

Vmp = Voltage @ Maximum Power
                Voc = Voltage Open Circuit
                Imp = Current @ Maximum Power
                Isc = Current Short Circuit.

For example if your panel spec Vmp = 30 volts, Voc = 40 volts, and you have 3 wired in series Vmp = 90 volts, Voc = 120 volts. That means you should never read anything less than 90 volts and no higher than 120 volts at the input of the controller. So if you read say 60 volts, then you know you have a problem. Either the Controller is cooked, or a panel issue.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...